Motto of the day: "Having diffucult problems is the only…

  • Motto of the day: "Having diffucult problems is the only justification for getting to office in the morning"
  • I thought a bit more about motivation last evening. To say (note that also the performance evaluation formula seems to have this idea) that the motivation of a person should not affect the work of the person. I think this completely makes the whole concept of motivation empty. According to one dictionary motivation is " the psychological feature that arouses an organism to action; the reason for the action", so by definition there is no action without motivation. Therefore it is not possible that the work efficiency would not depend on the motivation. To claim otherwise is to make the whole term motivation meaningless. Of course the motivation (like on assembly line) can be external, forced by the job or then it can be just the need not to get fired, but this kinds of things do not motivate me the least.
    • Furthermore: I feel (as a de facto line manager of SE team), that if I see/hear that someone in the team has low motivation, it is my responsibility to talk with the persons are find out the reason for low/nonexistent motivation and then also do something that will increase the motivation. It would be really starge/nonnatural for me just to notice low motivation, do nothing and then e.g. in performance evaluation complain about it. To do so would actually mean that I am not up to my tasks as a line manager. But I may make a mistake here since I have not gone to the official Nokia line manager training.
    • Now this is quite enough about the topic of motivation. I now happen to have better motivation than during the last 1.5 years, so this complaint may go away by itself.
  • 9-10 Situation update with MaunuHolma and misc discussion on many issues.
  • 10-12 HzSeMinutes2004x01x19xToDoWeekly
  • 12-13 Lunch in "Mao-restaurant" ( Huo Hong Nian Dai) with some of the member of HzSeTeam . Nice, good food. No beer!
  • 13-14 Misc issues.
  • 14-17 HzSeMinutes2004x01x19xRsmuAndPiping
  • 17-18 Diaries, proposing targets from MaijaSaukko (thanks to ChenGuodong for good proposals)
  • Dinner at home: noodles and tuna etc. No alcohol on Mondays Reading "Please understand me" and watching "Beijing bicycle", of course at the same time. The film was quite OK.


Alun perin julkaistu koosteessa "Diaries 2003 Q1".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki