The avian flu is now officially in China, too

  • The avian flu is now officially in China, too. From Strait Times:" China became the 10th Asian country to be hit by the avian flu after it confirmed on Tuesday there had been an outbreak of the lethal strain of H5N1 among ducks in the south-western Chinese province of Guangxi but said no human infections had been reported so far." "Isolated cases also appear to have emerged in other parts of the country including in a chicken-raising household in central China's Hubei Province and in a duck-raising household in neighbouring Hunan Province, the Xinhua news agency said."
    • So, it was not just a miracle. It was just of question of time. Now we are waiting for reports of the first human cases, which I assume will come next Monday after the official delay.
    • "In southern Guangdong province, a major poultry supplier to Asia, authorities have stepped up monitoring of registered suppliers of poultry and intensified supervision of bird flu innoculations at registered chicken farms." I just hope that all suppliers have remembered to register, which is of course the case... Not in Indonesia though: "Regulation -- or the lack of it -- is also a major issue. Wednesday's Jakarta Post said only 50 or the capital's 1,000 bird slaughterhouses were legal or licensed."
  • Whole day at home, no lunch, just reading, cooking tea etc.
  • Dinner at some restaurant nearby. Potatoes, fish and some meat. I skipped the meat. Otherwise good and funny tasting Harbin beer "the oldest in China".
  • Some new CDs:
    • www.bumblefoot.com Bumblefoot : Uncool
      • totally nuts French guys.
    • She1: Rich and famous
      • young porn girls and old men from Berling playing a bit like Garbage
    • Outkast: Stankonia
      • Frech rap with fun add-ons
    • Futuristia: Demain, C'est maintenant
      • Straight rap from France
    • The One reference monitor speaker test CD: some acoustic blues.
  • S. Baldauf and J. Ollila has visited Poc (Flexiserver), which is going to make loads of money and nice bonuses for us all quite soon. All that remain is to fix some bugs... pronto-bees are on-going, now also in FServer development. Lots of management attention and appropriate measures and many *ers looking over shoulders of those doing the dirty hacking etc. You know it all already. It is always so much too late.
  • I have now been thinking much about my future. It may well be that I continue in system architecting since I feel that my talents and interests are in the discipline. The best mix would be to devote 50% of my time to academic research and 50% for industrial product development. It requires most likely that I move to USA.
  • Weather: upto 8C and sunshine. Nice, I could even cycle to office tomorrow.


Alun perin julkaistu koosteessa "Diaries 2003 Q1".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki