I am a bit terrified: again one new day full of meetings
- I am a bit terrified: again one new day full of meetings. Where can I find time to write all the papers and analysis I intend to write. I need a secretary or several. Winston Spencer Churchill had two since he only slept 4 hourt per day and worked 20 hours a day. Or maybe I just need more delegation or a brainwash-course in time management.
- Why is it so that if you are a manager, you have more access to secretaries How come the working time of a manager is more valuable than that of a system architect Tell me, please! Or, why do we have so few secretaries in Nokia, especially in China Having more of them would reduce the work load of the main designers. But I know, we have the upper limit for the number of personnel, not for the cost of the personnel (or lower limit for the efficiency). But it may be, of course, that having a secretary would not make my work any faster. Hmm, I am outsmarting myself here. And all this is plain stupid. Forgive me.
- I will have at least 13 meeting in the week 9. Most of the meetings are such that I need and want to be alert and have also to lead the meeting (together with MaunuHolma). Only one or two meetings in which I can just relax. I will not tell which are which. Check my calendar if you are so curious! Anyway: I do feel that I do enough for my salary - if not even more than is reasonable. But still: the level of difficulty could be much higher. Or maybe I am just arrogant. Ignorant I am not. Steve was! And Phil was free. What am I talking about Can you guess If you can, you are a punk... and you will win a price ! Collect your price at my desk. This is not a lucky draw as luck has nothing to do with this.
- Pentagon published a report saying that global warming and climate change it the most important threat to the national security of the USA. This is a bit embarassing for Mr. Bush, who claims to have national security as his most important topic, but has, so far, said that there is not such thing as global warming. The report is still secret, but someone had leaked it to the Observer. It will be quite interesting to see what will happen in the USA.
- The report itself is quite gloomy. See it . For China it says: " China's huge population and food demand make it particularly vulnerable." and for Bangladesh "Bangladesh becomes nearly uninhabitable because of a rising sea level, which contaminates the inland water supplies. " and for Finland " Immigrants from Scandinavia seek warmer climes to the south. " and for Netherlands (BasVodde should take note here) "By 2007 violent storms smash coastal barriers rendering large parts of the Netherlands inhabitable. Cities like The Hague are abandoned." All of this makes one a bit sad. I have started to consider taking train back to Finland!
- See the whole article in Observer.
- See also Karen Armstong's column about "'Positive thinking' can be a route to spiritual and political disaster " if you think that everything will be all right...
- This is fun (if you like programming): Factor in Haskell
- I woke up at 7 after 4 hours of sleep. I was stupid enough to hack something until 3pm (I was also reading my new book "Applied SW architecture" by Hofmeister et all. It is a good book.)
- 9-10 Meeting with HongqiangHuang and MaunuHolma on RsmuTask and the tasks of HongqiangHuang. See HzSeMinutes2004x02x23xHuangHongqiangTasks .
- 10-11 The weekly meeting of HzSeTeam. See HzSeMinutes2004x02x23xToDoWeekly .
- 11-12 Discussion with YanDezheng and MaunuHolma on A43 project management. There is great pressure on YanDezheng from EspooOffice. Too unfair. The problem is that YanDezheng gets the pressure when I and MaunuHolma are the bottlenecks here.
- 12-13 Team lunch
- 13-14 Meeting with LvYi and MaunuHolma on the tasks of LvYi
- 14-15 Meeting on Hangzhou.Dimuti task with LiJunru and MaunuHolma
- 15-16 Technology transfer meeting. See MattisMinutes2004x02x23TechTranfer. There was some good discussion in this meeting. I am still missing all information about the strategy and future. Someone is keeping it secret and making our work unnecessarily hard. Is this the Nokia value of "respect" I just ask.
- 16-17 Emails, misc issues (at the same time A43 requirement meeting and Giga-RNC B0 review, but there has to be some limit even for my participation. I wrote this: MattiOnHwRefutation, which might just confuse you. Be careful! It is a bit philosophical, I am afraid. No comments expected. As usual.
- 17 and afterwards: home, studying.
- Dinner with Sirkku in the local army (Mao) restaurant. The usual fish, but some strange eggplants, beans and noodles (of potatoe ) and of course some beer.
- My new traditional bike is really nice. It even has rudimentary front suspension, which makes cycling so soft. I think I will use only this bike - it gives me fancy feeling and I assume that the thieves are not so interested in it. It was even so cheap - less than 400 RMB with locks and basket.
- This was a good start for a week. No problems and enough meetings and happening to keep me awake.
- Ville Eerola and Jari Eloniemi and Maija Saukko are here in Hangzhou. Good.
Alun perin julkaistu koosteessa "Diaries 2003 Q1".
Kommentit