We woke up in time to enjoy a long and not-so-healthy breakfast in WTC

  • We woke up in time to enjoy a long and not-so-healthy breakfast in WTC. I even had an omelette.
  • Rest of the day I spent sleeping, watching DVDs and after 7 pm surfing in the net. From DVDs I learned how much damage incompetent medling in minor details by the bosses (over the expert views) can cause. Also it is clearly harmful to keep unnecessary things secrets. This is true also in Nokia. I am still waiting for strategy update for RNCd and HZ. The current ones are just outdated and ridiculous. I am a bit surprised how our management cannot even get strategies on paper. They seems to use their time medling with minor issues and also fulfilling not-so-intelligent orders from above. We will see the results - already now we are not making any profit! And it will get worse, because the margins in the industry are getting smaller whereas our way of product development is getting all the time more expensive. And still there is no sense of urgency, no sense of needing inventions etc. Strange, irresponsible!
  • I wrote down some thought on my future in Helsinki. See MattiOnHisFutureTasks. It is hard to get chellenging enough tasks in Nokia, at least in NET. Somehow it seems that the organization/culture cannot understand and cope with persons, who develope fast and want to really do good work, not just fullfil the required STIP-target, people who want to push themselves and others and develope the whole business. I also find the strict hierarchy in NET not so nice. It prevents progress and invention. Furthermore, I cannot understand how NET can strive for being the number one in the world when we are working so inefficienlty and not trying our best. We are happy to repeate the well-known mistakes over and over. We just trust that some recessions or money from NMP or something comes and saves us. Nobody is responsible. Buu, I am getting tired. And losing my temper.
  • But we could develope an IPA-like system with 80 persons, including managers and secretaries. We only have to get good enough people, give them difficult enough problems and try to work in world-class manner. If we do not, then some other company will. In fact, I could establish such a company, I know already enough how to make this R&D 66% more efficient. It is not even hard! But I am not going to tell it to our current management, before they give me suitable tasks and positions. Some other company will, anyhow.


Alun perin julkaistu koosteessa "Diaries 2003 Q1".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki