Terrible rain in the morning

  • Terrible rain in the morning. It did not rain when I left for office by bike. After 1 km torrential downpour forced me to seek for cover. After 30 minutes waiting I decided to go back home, change some dry clothes. Then I did not get a taxi. And the bus was full. I almost started to cry, really.
  • In the morning, we wrote a statement on the future of SE in HZ for some Helsinki managers. Not the thing we are most interested in. I starts to seem that I am definitely not a manager, at least not in RNCd/NET since the bureaucrazy is just too bad for me. I would prefer a much lighter approach to organisations and ways of working. And more professionalism and adult way of working and managing.
    • Somehow, our (mine and Maunu's) efficiency somehow dropped a lot when A43 really started and we had to start to work according to some official ways. Also, there are so many small and almost insignificant issues (managerial) to take care of. So, no management for me. The tool manager position could be OK, though, since there would be a lot of design work included. This is hard - I would so much like to do more difficult (intellectually, not work amount ) tasks, to proceed in my career and to make products in such a way that Nokia could and would prosper also in the future. Somehow it seems that I will not get the difficult tasks (there are the chief architects for that, or then there just is none available), that the current organisation will not (be able) to offer me any higher/more responsible positions (or even acknowledge my current responsibilities), that the current way of working will continue even though it would (and must) be possible to develope IPA-like system with 33% of the current expences (financial, not intellectual). Buu, I have a bad day today. It must be the rain or is there some reality in my ranting.
  • In the afternoon, we had a meeting on HzSeMinutes2004x03x17xServiceCategories.
  • Another meeting on SeIntersiteMeetingPeriods .
  • Then I wrote some ideas about the future of the SE-team. This thing is taking too much time currently. Is this management I need time-management courses and fast. Tomorrow!
  • I had fried rice for lunch, alone. I do not know where BasVodde was - oh, now I remember. He was having the management lunch. He is so clever - could tweak his way into management circles. I have not been able to that, yet.
  • I managed to fill in more than 50% of the application. And it was fun!
  • From James Menzies: (Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc.)
    • 4. The Deadly Connection: BE AWARE that mobile phones played a key part in the Madrid massacres. FULL STORY. One of the horrific realisations that is coming to the surface in the wake of the Madrid massacre is that mobile phones played a key role in the technology used to implement the crime, making it beholden on everyone in the industry to be aware of this and to be fully on their guard for the future.
    • One of the unexploded bombs retrieved by Spanish police in Madrid was typical. The ringer of the phone was wired to two detonating caps, an operation that experts say is delicate and requires training, but can be accomplished with common tools available in any electronics store. The detonators, in turn, would set off 22 pounds of gelatinous dynamite. Packed around the explosives, in the sports bag that concealed it, were nails and screws designed to serve as a shrapnel. More sophisticated phone bombs also incorporate timers, but in general, all a bomber needs do is dial or e-mail the number and let it ring.
  • So, are we producing weapons and weapon support systems here But futrher
    • Cell-phone bombs have one major weakness, jamming. With up to a 150-yard range, jammers prevent the phones from ringing and thus stop the detonation; in rare cases, they may accidentally ring the phone and detonate the device prematurely.
    • The jamming concept originated in Israel in the early '90s and is currently used by U.S. troops in Iraq. The United States has tested an air-dropped cell-phone jammer, WolfPack , that can knock out all cell-phone traffic in a combat zone. There have also been reports the U.S. military has gone even further and is testing a short-range device in Iraq to protect convoys. This gadget detects cell phones near a convoy, then rings the number, detonating any potential bomb before the convoy gets too close.
  • So there is a new profitable business opportunity.


Alun perin julkaistu koosteessa "Diaries 2003 Q1".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki