Serious cycling began: I cycled 75 minutes with 80% of the full…
- Serious cycling began: I cycled 75 minutes with 80% of the full speed this morning. Really refreshing and should help me in reaching my health goals. There are really nice places to cycle in Helsinki: I cycled by up the riverside of Vantaa, then through the Central park (forest) and via quiet suburban streets. Nice and rather safe.
- I was totally wasted when I got back home in the evening. I am not as fit as I used to be when I was younger.
- We walked aroung the Töölönlahti and checked a couple of menus along the way.
- The 2nd part of my IIP. Since I got into MIT, I do not have much time to work here anymore. This is due to my extensive holidays: maybe 50 days still this year. So, I will work until 15th of October and then take a 2-month holiday...
- We removed a couple of tasks from my STIP.
- I will have a 25-minuted walk in the afternoon - just to get my brains to work again. One must not stay in the office building the whole day. It is not good for humans to do so.
- It seems that nobody is really trying to figure out the reasons behind the current WCDMA crises. It seems that most managers, even quite high ones, are happy if we can solve this and that crises. I do not understand such an attitude: it is clear that the current crises are due to some systematic problems and minunderstanding is our R&D. At least I think that the co-operation amoung NRC, System Technologies (Koskinen), RNC developement (and inside RNC development between IPA-framework and RNC SW application), standardisation (is anyone really following the standardisation e.g. the work SamiKekki is doing - does anyone try to anticipate the coming R&D-challenges from the current standardisation etc), marketing, etc. It seems that all these stakeholders are doing their own duties in more or less isolation from the others. This is not good, this is not even acceptable.
- Then we have our own problems with methodologies, management practices, misconstructed organization, excessive amount of this-and-that managers, non-enough-competent developers (so called competence development is a joke here) etc. But I have written so much about these issues, tried to make them better for so long and against so much irrational resistance, that now I am about to give up, move to MIT and continue thinking about R&D and large-scale product development from an academic point of view.
- I am suffering from acute want of competent, enthusiastic, and honest discussion partners. I am so lonely here. I really miss Maunu and Reijo. Of course, there are still others with whom it is always a pleasure and productive to talk. But most of them are so busy with current crises and so down-throdden by the past, that having them around is not so great a blessing it would be in some other situation.
- I receive about 2 work related emails per day. Really quiet here: I am now convinced that my contribution to this company is not so much needed anymore. It may well be, that my special talents are in creating totally new products in great teams. I am not so good in doing simple things alone.
Alun perin julkaistu koosteessa "Diaries 2003 Q1".
Kommentit