Bus discussions / Daily political musings / MIT preparations / Dinner

I was so excited that I managed to get WLAN-working with my Zaurus, that I tried to get many other things to work too. Most failed and suddenly it was 2 am. In the morning, I did not not a) where I was and b) what day it was - I had also set alarm clock on at 8.45 am and I had a course to attend at 9am in Pitäjänmäki. What a mess! Hacking is definitely not good for social commitments.
The course was quite good: surprisingly fluent lecturer, semi-interesting topic (DOORS requirements management toolset); it was also nice to meet some workmates - usually I am so alone at work. The Doors seems to work as a requirements managements systems should. However, I have not tried it yet - I am be wrong and too optimistic, both of which happen quite seldom.

Bus discussions

I took bus to work today. On the way back, the bus was full: mostly some woman working in television companies. I happened to listen to two woman discussing. One was young, less than 30 years old, the other about 50 years old. They managed to discuss whether to get artificial eye lashes and finger nails done. This lasted for over 5 minutes. The result was that the older claimed that she lives alone and it is not a sin to use 30 euros for artificial eye lashes. I was a bit at loss: not that discussing the sinfulness of artificial eye lashes is worse than discussing the sinfulness of Compact Flask WLAN-cards, but the language the women used was so predictable. I just cannot understand the purpose of such talk, those totally predictable opinions and laughter. I do not actually know what it is that irritates me, but it really does. Sometimes I miss my time in China, where I did not understand anything they talked about in the bus.

Daily political musings

Coming later - stay tuned.
Ok, I am getting a bit tired of Iraq. Or any other country with seemingly unsolvable problems. Instead of reading my not-so-ingenious ranting, please consult Paul Krugman. Also John Kerry has woken up to the reality and spoken his mind. See comments in NY Times. May require registration, but is worth it. Also Kofi Annan has been speaking up. And check the reasons why "we cannot win [in Iraq]" by one experience soldier fighting there.

MIT preparations

Now this is getting personal and exhausting. I need to visit two doctors, altogether at least 4 times. I need to get lab tests taken in several labs, visit the optician etc. And all this is unnecessary. Take for example the required Mantoux-tuberculosis test. According the the best Finnish experts, the test does not prove anything - results correspond to the reality as much as those you would get by just tossing a coin. But the US-authorities demand such strict a documentation, that I have to get the test taken in one of the really few place in which they still do this flawed test. And since I was vaccinated against TB when I was 1 or so, I am immune as everyone in Finland. At least this is what I understood. Whatever. The TB test will cost me 65 euros.

Dinner

Maunu visited us for a late dinner. We have wineleaf rolls, olives, cold smoked salmon and chevre risotto, and halva. We had exceptionally pleasant discussions. It is always nice to meet Maunu.


Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs from September to October 2004".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki