Confiscation / Hometown tourism / Evening

I had a meeting in our other office in Ruoholahti. I woke up at 8am, had breakfast etc, and took metro to the office. Total commuting time was less than 10 minutes. If I ever come back from MIT and continue working in the same company or any company whatsoever, I will definitely insist in having office in along metroline (Ruoholahti (or Keilaniemi if Espoo comes to its senses and there is a metro to Keilaniemi)). Other advantage of having office in civilized parts of the city is, that one can have sushi for lunch. I had, I am a happy camper now.

Confiscation

This is rather worrying: FBI took the hard drives of IMC servers in the UK. I wonder how they can do that? I also wonder where this is leading to if FBI starts to confiscate (without even needing a court decision) servers around the world. Police state is coming? More later...
Indymedia looks like site worth following every now and then. Viva la resistance, even weak one! Thanks to Pekka for the link.
Check also the blog of Bruce Schneier

Hometown tourism

I tried to be a tourist in Helsinki for 1.5 hours: took tram to Cafe Ekberg, read books there (finished "Heresies"), took tram 3T the whole loop to home. Riding public transport to the endstop in different cardinal points is a good way to get to know a city and get an understanding of its size. I have done so quite thoroughly in Helsinki, Tampere, Berlin, Taipei, Singapore, Paris, and Sydney. Nice habit.

Evening

Friday evenings are like weddings: something old, something new, something borrowed. Today old was the bar, Rytmi. New was meeting my old friend Ruurik, who is a logician, but now works in the university administration organizing the evaluation of the whole university of Helsinki. Nice meeting him, and discussing university etc. Also Pekka joined us later. He is quite a nerd: a sysadmin in one environmental NGO. However, I do not remember borrowing anything, so there the analogy breaks. Now I think I will still read a few pages of Pussikaljaromaani, a novel which happens here in Kallio. Thanks to Kössi for letting to borrow the book.


Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs from September to October 2004".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki