Finland and competitiveness / Evening

I hate to admit this, but I am getting old. Drinking 4 pints of beer and some vodka, then reading books until 2.30 am and getting up at 8.30am makes me tired. I intended to read the Pussikaljaromaani this morning, but I could not. Instead, I had to take a nap for 2 hours. So embarassing. I have to listen to Ministry so that I will definitely stay awake.
Fun awaits: at 6pm we will start eating mussels in restaurant Carelia. I can hardly wait for that.

Finland and competitiveness

I read a small article in some newspaper/magazine (I read Helsinginsanomat, Taloussanomat, Suomen kuvalehti, and Internation Herald Tribune (and it was not in IHT since I have it here at home)), that some study has again ranked Finland as the most competitive country in the world. USA was the second. This is in total contradiction with all the wailing and ranting by some right-wing politicians that I hear and read almost daily. It may be that Finland is still competitive because of the good education system we (used if I believe some scientist in the field of education) to have etc, but anyway this difference in opinions is interesting. I myself think, that we have some difficulties ahead, that we do have too many unemployed, and the popolation is growing older. This will be a problem. But I do detest the knee-jerk crisis mentality and neo-liberal recipies of making things right again. What we need is not copying the USA way of managing a country, but some social innovations, which enable us to have rather high standard of living but also reduce the strain on environment and ourselves. This must be possible, it would only require some bold actions and honest thinking; introducing simpler social security in from of negative income tax (or "kansalaispalkka") would be a good start. But our current bunch of leading politician is really sorry one of cowards and idiots. I do not expect them to figure out any ways to make things better or resolve possible crisis.
Even if we would have the money to keep the current social sector up indefinitely, we do not have the personnel. We need to get rid of all unnecessary duties so that we can concentrate in inventing something new. Otherwise so many of us will will be taking care of older people and managing the effort, that we do not have enough persons for other things. (Thanks to Maunu for pointing this out)

Evening

I am drunk. We (me, S, Marjo, Jarmo) had an excellent dinner at Carelia: mussles, wine, dessert, spirits, discussions, which continued at our home. Then my brotherreturned from Germany with a new car (Audi 100 S4, 1992, 230 bhp) and a car load of booze. I got some of the booze. Then we had a short trial drive. The car is marvellous. I wish I had a similar. Especially one with a driver and a backseat full of beer like this one. Excellent. Whatever. No politics, pure fuzzy whatsoever entertainment. Reading, but not remembering, remembering but not caring. Fun! Good night. The end is nigh. Chaotic Discord.


Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs November 2004".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki