Giga-cities / Visit to friends

Oops, "theory of system architecture" is the same course as "System architecture". It is a good course indeed, but I cannot take it twice. I will take "Space System Architecture and Design" instead. Space systems are not only really interesting, but they also provide rather well defined context, in which one encounteres all important aspects/problems of architecting: human interaction, variable environment, hostile environments, difficult mechanical problems, need for ultra-quality software, communication issues, scarcity of energy, need to involve large number of designers of different disciplines, maintenance problems, high availaility, run-time SW updates, etc. So, even if one does not want to make one's career in designing space systems, doing some work with them is time well spent. At least I think and hope so. Let's see what is the official opinion of MIT. I would also like to take "Architecting organizations" and "Organizatorial process", but they overlap with the Apollo-course. I should really spend at least two years in MIT, there are so many interesting courses to take and things to learn and study.
My weather station tells me, that the temperature difference between my writing desk and my dining table is 1.7 C. The distance is 3 meters. I hope someone finally comes and fixes the window.
Beginning to study again after a one-day holiday is extremely difficult. I know this feeling, but I do not know any simple way to avoid it. It always comes and gets me. Now, I just have to force myself and write something about Giga-cities. It would help if I could first explain my ideas to someone. I read that ENTPs are good writers, but they must first talk about what they are about to write. I am definitely an ENTP, and I have noticed this peculiarity myself. Speaking of being and ENTP, some peer of mine told me in the leadership evaluation that I am an ENTP and must race on my strengths, and at the same time train my weaknesses. Let's see how well training goes. Or then I need to find a job, in which I will have someone to talk to and many persons to finalize all my various projects.

Giga-cities

I started to write a draft document on Giga-cities. Thanks to S for encouragement and support. I have so many ideas, that once I now managed to start, my typing speed has become the most pressing constraint. And of course drawing figures using a computer is too timeconsuming, so I just write, and draw the figures on paper by hand. Anyway, without constant support from S I would be lost.

Visit to friends

I visited my friends, Mirja et Milton, in Rosindale (beyond the urban rail transport). We had dinner, wine, etc, and it was fun. The evening was a bit exceptional, because when I arrived, they were not at home. Their car had broken down somewhere in Blue Hills, where they had been observing wildlife. Fortunately, I could figure out a way to get in (well, I happened to had a key to their place with me), and then I sat there sipping wine and reading books about cycling. After a few glasses of wine, my hosts arrived with another bird watcher, who had great many interesting stories to tell. After telling and listening to several stories, I left by foot towards the subway station. The weather was terrible, snowing, strong wind, minus 6 centigrade, 2 inches of snow. I fell on my face after my ankle sprained. Fortunately, I got a taxi and now I am back at home. Quite an evening.


Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January 2005".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki