Animated gestures / Daily crono / Etymology of "Perkele"
Animated gestures
The local people are quite animated here. Especially younger women tend to twist their faces, make all kinds of facial expressions, and other gestures with their heads, when they talk. I assume that those facial expressions are somehow meant to emphasize the meaning of their words, but I have great difficulties in interpreting them. Sometimes, the extra animated facial expressions leave me so puzzled, that I cannot get any idea of the actual verbal expressions, and I just nod benovelently. But that's just because of my cultural limitations. There is, however, a more general question to consider. I have noticed, that the most common expressions are the same ones that the second rank actresses use in sitcoms (when one is not that good in acting, one has to use them). The question is: is it so, that the young women have adopted the animated facial expressions from these sitcoms/soap operas, or do the sitcoms/soap operas accurately reflect the common behaviour here? Or, is it both ways, which would create a positive feedback loop, which would mean the animated facial expressions would just get more and more animated, and I would be losing more and more of the actual message due to my confusion. So, I would end up being as happy as in France, where I do now understand anything, and always think that people discuss about philosophy, poetry, and other romantic topic everywhere. It is a comforting thought, and well worth the flight tickets to Paris once a year.
Daily crono
I stayed up late last night reading the Apollo-material, which meant that I did not get my regular 8 hours of sleep. The same thing happened today. I assume that I have to get used to 7 hours of sleep, and get even more efficient and organized. Today was, however, very productive. As usual, I walked to MIT with you know whom, and we discussed some interesting issues on the way. Then 1.5 hours of risk analysis, which I thought I got, but when I tried to do the exercises later today, I realized I was too bold and optimistic. I just did not get it. I will later, for sure. Afternoon was also quite busy: some research for Apollo, the Apollo class, then group meeting for 1 hour, some research for disruptive technologies for 1 hour, 2.5 hour group meeting on the same topic, some discussions with class mates on diverse issue, getting back home, reading some news articles (e.g. this article, which tells a story of a teen ager writing a zombie story, and getting arrested and charged for felony. Yes, it is funny, and show the exact limits of free expression. In another country, the parliament decided that anyone suspected for being a terrorist may be placed under house arrest for indefinite periods and without any charges, and without ways to defend him/herself. Yes, I do not know that the goals of certain organizations are, but I do not like these developement. Neither I do like the continuing and worsening security situation in one other country. Etc. Read the papers, and you will get so much merrier. And read from the newest "Foreign Affairs", how the situation now is very much similar as to it was before the first world war, and this is worrysome, at least if you find globalization a good things (for the most parts)), and still doing some work and reading and whatever, and now it is already 12.15 am. Too bad.
Etymology of "Perkele"
Tapio sent me email and reminded me that "perkele" is not from Kalevala. Instead, it came to being with the introduction of Christianity in Finland in 12th century (I am not sure about this timing, and do not have energy to check it either). "Perkele" comes from Lithuanian "Perkunas", who is the god of thunder (i.e. the local Zeus). So, Christians took a foreign devil and imported him to Finland. Tapio assumes, that even Christians did not dare to adopt the Finnish Zeus, "Ukko" (man), as their main enemy. See also more professional explanations.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs February 2005".
Kommentit