New week

New week

Second week of the spring semester starts. 14 to go still. I am still in very good and productive mood, all courses are interesting. I even enjoy the risk and benefit analysis. It may turn out to be hard, but it is rather important topic, and the tools are certainly useful later, whatever I end up doing.
It is still sunny, maybe 5C, no wind. I walked to MIT with Robbie. It was a pleasant walk in good company. The walk was maybe even too short, only 20 minutes. I need more exercise. But I felt fresh and alert, and the first lecture was fine. Afterwards, I read the required pages of the Apollo books, and now it is time to have some Chinese food for lunch.
The Apollo-course was as good, or even better, as/than last week. It so much fun, but also so much reading and writing too! But that is exactly why I came here. I also met mr Koo, and after talking to him I am all more convinced that I must write my thesis with him and others related in the pursuit of developing system architecting tools. It is what I have been thinking about and missing for the last 5 years now. And now I have a possibility to do something useful. What a happy coincidence. Or so I think right now. Ask me about all this in early December and I will may have other opinions.
I talked about leadership and my career plans with Jan Klein. Mostly private issues, but one thing has now become clear. I cannot work anymore in any large organization, ever. It would just be an intellectual suicide. My career anchor seems to be freedom, and I am willing to pay any price I need to just to work in a place, which has lots of intellectual freedom and in which I can plan my work flexibly, and in which hard intellectual work is respected. MIT would be one such place, but there are others, too. Let's see what materializes.
I started to use the service of Total Care Laundry Services. They will pick up my laundry, which I leave at my door, wash and fold it, and return it next day. All for $1.05 per pound. Excellent. Next service I would need and be willing to pay for would be cleaning my studion. If anyone know a cheap, but not exploitative, cleaning service, let my know. Use the email at the top of this page.


Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs February 2005".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki