Consistent performance / Other reading / Strange things in USA, part 3
Consistent performance
In the technology strategies class, we have now written 3 case write-ups. I have got 85,86, and 85 points out of 100. So, I am not getting better, or learning, nor am I getting worse. Today, I received feedback that one of the sections I wrote was "excellent". It is funny, since I sincerely did not know what I was doing when I wrote it. I was just following the rules to the point of naivety. Otherwise, the day at the institute was quite unremarkable: the air traffic policy seminar is converging to some common conclusion, and it seems that the value group I am in does not have to do anything anymore. Which is nice, since I would not know what to do. Speaking of the seminar, I am about to write about write a 10-page paper (the MIT-standard lenght: go and write a 10-page paper and you will get a grade) about oil and air traffic system. Today's Economist has a 14-page special report on oil. It does not make my task any harder.
After classes, I joined some class mated to Muddy Charles, then to some Irish pub in Kendal, and finally to some bar with a view over the Boston Skyline. The last bar was full of wanna-bees, so we had to stay outside on the balcony, as we are already (cogito, ergo sum). We means Dave, Ilana, John Hadjukievic, and Irina. I am unsure of the spelling. It is interesting to note, that it is next to impossible to get the spelling of English names correct, since in general there is no way of knowing the spelling from the pronunciation. I assume, that one cannot claim fluency in English before one can reliably get the names correct. (that's why Finnish and German are easier than English and French).
Other reading
In Iraq, Sunnis are leaving the government, according to Read in the middle. I cannot find confirmation elsewhere. Blogs open another channel to the world. If you prefer reading about nice and beautiful places and things, Latitude-magazine is the place to go.Strange things in USA, part 3
Dave suggested this list. Here we go again. 11. The central role of team sports in the society. It is hard to understand some common expressions and idioms, when one has not been following baseball, football, etc for a long time. And it is rather mind-boggling how much time many adults are willing to invest in following sports and talking about them. 12. The central role of movies and TV-programs in the society, and the way of using film characters where (some) Europeans use characters from classical literature. 13. The fact that, at least in Back Bay (Boston) there is no need to obey the traffic lights. 14. Serving fish and chips on "news paper", which turns out to be just artificial, printed baking paper. 15. Police officers patrolling alone in their cars. 16. The health care system, which is about twice as expensive as in Canada/Europe, and which provides worse care. The fact that ideology can so easily overcome economical rationality. 17. Having drivers in each car of a tram. The only task of the latter "driver" is to open the doors of the latter car. 18. Shoveling all but 1 inch of the snow away, and using salt to melt the rest away. 19. Popularity of sun glasses during cloudy and rainy days. 20. Baseball caps.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs April 2005".
Kommentit