Dr. Seamans and Apollo / Daily crono / Strange things in USA, part 1
Dr. Seamans and Apollo

I had the greatest honor and privilege to meet Dr. Bob Seamans again today. At 11am, we had a meeting where Bill, Ben, Wilfred and others explained the newest research on the Moon-Mars mission modes to Seamans. I am still amazed how anyone can be that fast, brilliant, and able to concentrate at once on anything as he is, at the respectable age of 87 years. And being so fast, he was also a bit inpatient. When someone repeated some piece of information, he cut in "I got that already". He also gave important and interesting comments on the new plans, and emphasized that one needs to look at large programs as a totality, always considering the whole system, minimizing the total risk. Seamans also said that one should not put too much weight on history, but make all decisions based on the best information available - thus not taking legacy as a guide. (on the left: Seamans and Ben Koo; on the right: Seamans explaining management tools to Spencer, Elisio watching)Later, Dr Seamans gave us an lecture in the Apollo-class. After a while, it was really hard to remember his age - he was so fluent. I will not repeat here what he said about Apollo's techinical decisions. but I must repeat that he kept on emphasizing the importance of getting the whole organization behind important decisions, and the impossibility of dictating decisions. He could have, given his position as chief systems architect (in current terminology), have tried that, but fortunately did not. He said that the important thing is to make a large number of talented and opinionated people work together, and in doing this, having some strengt in oneself (and in the systems organization) is essential. When asked about the thing he was mostly proud of, he very modestly just said that he is just proud and happy "to have had the opportinity, to have been part there".

Professor Young, whose boss Seamans was in the early 1950's, introduced Seamans as his hero. I have to concur with him. I do consider Seamans as one of the real heroes of large scale systems development, and am so happy to have been able to meet him, and talk with him. (on the left: Seamans and Young; on the right: Seamans and professor Mindell)I got this from Robbie's blog. It should also explain, why I am so enthusiastic about this course, and this place.
Charlie Duke was an MIT grad (Course 16 of course). His thesis advisor was Professor Young (who is one of our professors for this class), whose thesis advisor was Jim Nevins (who was present in the class for the Duke talk), whose thesis advisor was Dick Battin (who spoke to our class a couple of weeks ago). That means 4 generations of student/teachers in the MIT Aero/Astro department were on hand, all of whom had a significant impact on space exploration. Only at MIT.
Daily crono
In another development, professor Mindell gave me an A from my report of my interview with Dr Houbolt. I am so glad, since I did my best, and I think the report have some good new insights. It is interesting how one can so easily find new things about Apollo, even though there are so many books about it. Very interesting topic. And this course is the best course I have taken, I am learning so much every day: today, I read von Braun's book Conquest of the Moon, and now I have so much to say/write about it. I will have such a fun 1.5 weeks ahead when writing about Apollo. (on the right: Seamans proudly presenting his forthcoming book Project Apollo: making tough decisions while sitting on Ed Crawley's chair.)Other issues today. A meeting to finalize disruptive technologies paper, then the Apollo/Seamans meetings, celebration in the local Sushi place, coming back home, taking a nap, reading, finding clean laundry at my door, taking a walk, seeing an astronaut, writing some pages, listening to Thruston Moore, talking on the phone, drinking too much Dr. Pepper.
Strange things in USA, part 1
A new series. 1. Calling the local championships "world series". 2. Using pick-ups for tasks for which vans would be more practical. 3. Drinking coffee from paper cups. 4. Drinking coffee while walking. 5. The school busses with their ancient design. 6. Having to prove one's age in bars (at 36-years of age). 7. Being able to rent furniture with credit card, but not mobile phone. 8. The use of checks. 9. The poor quality of local chocolate.Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs April 2005".
Kommentit