Riots in China / New CDs / Other things / Good things in USA, part 3 / Me at my home

Riots in China

I just received an email from Heikki from Hangzhou, China. He told that rioters have destroyed our favorite Japanese noodle-restaurant. These rioters are protesting against Japanese school text book of history, which they claim does not tell enough about the atrocities the Japanese committed during their occupation of China in 1930's and 1940's. I definitely agree, that the Japanese did commit lots of horrible crimes, and killed scores of Chinese civilians in terrible ways, and that they should apologize. But I think that the riots have been organized/started/agitated by the Chinese dictators, and that they are not really about text books. The real reason is that for some reason it just now meets the interests of the dictators to have anti-Japanese riots in China. It is sad, that there are still enough Chinese, who take anything the dictators tell them by face value. I thought that they would have learned their lesson during the Cultural revolution, but apparently they have not. It is really scary.
At the same time, 50 kilometers south of Hangzhou, there are other riots, for which there are real reasons. In Huaxi, the local people are rioting against local chemical factories, which have polluted the villages, and cause stillborn babies etc. BBC tells more, but of course, you cannot read BBC in China. There has been similar news from several other parts of China lately. In one sense, it is happy to see, that people are rising up against pollution and corruption, but, of course, to have such levels of pollution and corruption is a bad thing, and may lead to total explosion. The state organized riots may well combine with the independent ones, and cause whatever. And this time wide spread rioting, or a real revolution, in China would not be a local concern. The whole world economy would go into tailspin should the Chinese dictators lose their power.

New CDs

I bought 3 new CDs:
  • Bleed like me by Garbage
  • Hold that tiger by Sonic Youth - a live recording from 1987. The quality of sound is bad, but the songs are excellent, and I want to buy all Sonic Youth records I can find, anyway.
  • Highly involved by The Vines - an Australian rock band, some really good songs. I bought this because of the Kittens plays it too.
Bleed like me is much better the the previous Garbage CD Beautiful garbage. The songs are better, and not so sterile, devoid of all emotion as they were 4 years ago. I can but admire the technical skills and knowledge of the history of rock and pop music they have in Garbage. They make it sound so easy, so natural to make great songs. But they could still go a bit further: abandoning the traditional song structures would give more freedom of expression. A good record, still. It is nice to have Virgin Megastore and Newbury Comics within short walking distance.

Other things

In the afternoon, I was hanging out with Spiros, Christian and Kumar: we walked Newbury Street to Boston Commons, had some wine, bread, and cheese. Later, we bought some booze and nice cigars, and just enjoyed our existence. And later, I will go to some homeparty in Porter Square. Except that I was too tired from drinking, smoking, and hanging out for 6 hours, and did not have the energy to leave my cave.

Good things in USA, part 3

29. Boston Commons - a nice oasis in the middle of the town. 30. The tobacconist next to Boston Commons. 31. Pho Pasteur in Chinatown. 32. Newbury Comics. 33. Community Bike supply in Tremont Street, Boston. 34. Total care laundry service. 35. The local traditional sodas (ginger ale, cherry sodas, root beer). 36. Fish and Chips at Doyle's. 37. The Barking Crab restaurant. 38. The Brooklyn bridge. 39. Foreign Affairs magazine ( I just received the newest one by mail). 40. Brownstone buildings. 41. The constitution. 42. Multi-cultural society. 43. The simple way of speaking English.

Me at my home

A picture of my cave and from my cave to the Beacon Street by KössiMane's caveFrom Mane's cave

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs April 2005".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki