Scary? / Stupid policies in MIT / A new book / Repetio mater studiorum / Daily cronos

Scary?

This is what happens, if one sets off fireworks on the 4th of July
A violation of this law shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year or both. This practice may result in serious injuries to people and property.
It is from an email from the Graduate Student Council. I knew that some private prison have been cutting down their health care expenses, but I did not know that the situation has got this bad.

Stupid policies in MIT

I am rather interested in completing my PhD in MIT. So, I went to ask how the admission process works. I was surprised: I am clearly qualifies, and most likely will get admitted. But it takes time. MIT (or at least ESD) has only one admission deadline per year. It is in January. The results come in March, and one can start next September. So, if I graduate in next January, I have to get out of MIT for 7 months, and then come back. Not such a tempting alternative. I need another alternative. I have one: if I get accepted in the TPP (Technology and Policy program), I can stay in MIT and even get money from MIT (by working as an assistant), and get another Master's degree before September 2006. Strange, but true!

A new book

I got Jared Diamonds Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed from Amazon yesterday. It is a great one. I got so immersed in it that I did not have time or motivation to fill in the systems engineering reading quiz. No regrets. It was much better to spend time in reading how China and Australia have developed as societies in the past, what is their situation today, and what will their future be. I will write more later, but check what Amazon says about it.

Repetio mater studiorum

Today's systems engineering did not really add anything. I think all courses should be based on fresh, ongoing research. Now the same ideas and anecdotes (e.g on TRIZ and IDEO) come up in all courses. Boring.

Daily cronos

Just to prevent me from forgetting my past. On Saturday we continued our midsummer celebrations. It was hot, 34C, and sunny, so I decided to test my endurance by cycling for 1 hour around northern Cambridge. Somehow, I do not do as well as I did last year in China. I got thirsty rather fast and then lost most of my strength. It has never before happened in one hour. I am getting old. But I do not care. I can still enjoy nice picnic with S. This time we bought some wine, cheese, bread (etc) from Deluga's in the Charles Street (nice shop, but way too expensive), then took the T to Revere beach. Of course, we did not go to the beach itself, instead we stayed in the shade of some trees. The Revere beach used to be a nice place, with dance pavilions, roller coasters, etc. Now, nothing is left, just huge crowds of Latinos. And more police cars I have ever seen USA - it is a good hunting ground for them, they can fill in their weekly quota of arrests easily. Maybe it makes the place safer. On Sunday, another trip to a beach, this time to Halibut Point with Mirja and Milton. More later.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs from May to June 2005".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki