Much better today / Systems engineering / Bombs in London

Much better today

I feel much better today. Yesterday, I was really down, could barely work, was totally lost. I had no idea what to do next in my life. And all this did really disturb me. So, I did the bear thing and slept most of the day. It helped, I am not desperate at all.
I think, that the fact that I may have to get a job in less than a year is really bugging. I need to somehow start to stand this prospect - but anyway, following the advice "If you go corporate, do it only in short stints" will help me a lot. Maybe I could do something for a year or so. I would make enough money to take a year off by doing so. But most likely I will continue all the way to PhD here in MIT. It would postpone the job anxiety a few years. Would be fine.

Systems engineering

Somehow, I have to started to agree with Yoav on the quality of the Systems Engineering class. It has got really boring. I think, that the topics are important, but the professor does put too much stuff in one lecture, which then makes the lectures really rushed through. I have started to think, that making the class project based would be good: one project for the whole class, done in groups of max 5 persons (not random), and having the lectures supporting the project, would make the course much better. It would eliminate the apparently random content of the course. And, yes, Yoav and others are right: there could be more examples in the class: not that trivial problems, solving them by cold-calling student and not tolerating long (longer than 15 seconds) answers, and keeping the tight discipline.

Be that as it may, I find all courses during the summer boring, too simple, not really interesting from an intellectual standpoint. They just do not get me really motivated. Studying has turned into just completing the assignments. Maybe it is just me, maybe I should self-motivate or find other viewpoints or whatever.

Bombs in London

Some criminals have set off almost 10 bombs in London. About 40 were killed, about 1000 injured. I hope the British are able to keep their cool. If they do not keep it, the criminals have won. What the British should do is to find out those criminals, bring them to normal justice and do everything according to the normal procedures. More commenting later. I am cool.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs from July to September 2005".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki