Still getting back to my senses / On drugs and pain
Still getting back to my senses
I have been really worried about money during the last weeks. I was sure that I am about to run totally out of money and could not even buy a ticket back Finland. Or that if I took a loan, I would somehow not be able to pay it back and that it would become such a pain and shame. Thus, I was looking for extra financing here and there. Now it has become clear, that there is no real way to get money in MIT (as I cannot be an RA and I was told too late that I could be a TA - all positions are taken up already). And with my visa I can work only 20 hours outside MIT per week (starting from September). But, as I have written several times, I do not want to work. So, my current and final decision is to just to my two remaining courses and my thesis and just take it easy and enjoy my life. I will take a loan from my bank so that I will not have to worry about money too much. And I will only take the two mandatory classes I have left (plus maybe the class on "Ethics, authority, and literature" in Sloan. It would count as hobby, pastime, not studying at all.I still did apply for a directore job in Google. I got an automatic reply back and have not heard from them ever since. If I got it, I would have to move to Mountain View. Would that be so bad?
Oh, the exam went OK, I assume. It was a long and complex one. I just answered all questions, check them cursorily, and left. I will not find out the results: I need to take the 2nd exam anyway, and knowing how bad I did would just add unnecessary stress.
On drugs and pain
Yesterday's New had an interesting article Let a Thousand Licensed Poppies Bloom. It argues that the whole world would be much better off, if instead of trying to prevent the farmers from growing poppies the governments would buy the poppies and make morphine out of it. Even in USA only half of the chronic pain patients get adequate medication, not to speak of those in poorer countries.Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs from July to September 2005".
Kommentit