Our claim on Eternity, part 2 / Great Finnish food / A pleasant surprise / Travel notes
Our claim on Eternity, part 2
In a place holy to me, where thoughts flow freely, mind is in peace, and new ideas come to me, that is: sitting on the third balcony of the southern reading room of the library of the University of Helsinki, I read of the history of philosophy in Finland. G.H. von Wright wrote: The only thing that is immortal is what Man has done, with his emotion and love, to enrich his surroundings. These deeds never die.I have spent countless hours, days, months, on this chair, looking out of the window at the large trees, at the main building of my alma mater. I always feel so good here. Maybe I will later return to Finland, get some funding for some reseach, and can spend my days here. It would be a good way to get old and wiser.
Great Finnish food
Italian prime minister Mr. Berlusconi should visit Heipan Herkkulounas (delicious lunch place of Heippa) in Kallio. I just had the most delicious lunch there with S. I had fried small whitefish (muikku) with mashed potatoes and mushroom sauce. Great. S had fried liver, which she praised. I do not like liver and cannot tell good one from bad one, but I trust her in this. I like this small restaurant a lot: everything they serve is fresh, simple, and traditional. I assume Mr Berlusconi has visited some larger restaurant chains in Finland, which do serve substandard copies of Italian food. He should know better: the best food in Italy is also available in small restaurants.A pleasant surprise
I was trying to register as a PhD-student to the University of Helsinki. I still have the right to pursue PhD-studies in theoretical philosophy there and I do not want to lose it. So far, registration has been easy and free. This year, however, the rules have changed: I have got back my right to pursue Master's studies in mathematics, and thus I have to pay the membership fee of the student union. Now, I have a dilemma: either I pay (and get all benefits), or I renounce my right of study for good. Let's see. I am tempted to pay, and keep my options open. An extra right of study may turn out to be a valuable option later on.Travel notes
Some short notes lest I forget what I have done here in Finland. No need for anyone to read this, it is only for myself.Saturday, 20th, arrival. Nice, sunny day, a short walk around the bay of Töölö , coffee and icecream in the garden of the Blue villa. Nice, quite, peaceful, so strange, no hurry. Walking around the city center, wondering why there are so many drunkards, and realizing that they were there when I left, I can even remember some of their bloated and scarred faces.
Sunday, 21st was busier. S was trying to sell some of our unnecessary things in the fleamarket. She had moderate success, or actually rather good since it was raining. I was just hanging around until the rain got too bad. Later, I took a sightseeing tour with the number 6 tram. In the evening, we visited our godson's 3rd birthday, and then met with Lassi, Päivi, Satu, Tomppa, Tappi, and others. They were having a late BBQ on the cliffs overseeing the residence of the prime minister. I hope he appreciated the songs they sang. I considered it safer for me not to sing.
Monday, 22nd sleeping late, reading books (the Science of the Artificial etc) in the holy place, accidental meeting with Susanna, who has started to study again (good for her!), then sleeping more, and later meeting with Aaro and having a pint.
Tuesday, 23rd return to Nokia, but not to where I used to work. It would not be appropriate and the office is in Espoo, which is just too far for any civilized person. But, visiting the other colleagues in Pit&aml;jänmäki is is always nice. Nice guys: Olli, Ville, Mika, Puaso, Ile, Julle, Harri, Jarmo etc. I was also pleasantly surpised of what I heard: their work is going really well.
Wednesday, 24th. Meeting Mikael over lunch. Later, meeting Mika,Teivo, Samuli and others for some early beers and discussion about NGOs etc.
Thursday, 25th: breakfast meeting with Jaana. She is working even harder than I was in the spring. But she is organizing a large conference, so I guess there is a reason. Later, traveling to Tampere to meet my mother and to borrow my brother's car. I also met with some friends (Kössi and Tero).
Friday, 26th: driving from Tampere via Helsinki to Valkeala. Some 400 km in less than 5 hours. Not bad. The car is excellent, really fast and fun to drive. In the evening, chatting with S's uncle and his wife and S's sister. Great time in the middle of the countryside. I feel uneasy in the countryside, but having nice company helps.
Saturday, 27th: driving back to Tampere, not that fun, smaller road, slow. Visiting S's father due to his 70th birthdate, later visiting my mom, and some friends (Kössi, Santtu).
Sunday, 28th just hanging around with my brother and mother. Later visiting his garage, watching some DVDs and drinking some beer.
Monday, 29th negotiation a loan from my bank (yes, I got X keuros with interest of 3.05%), meeting with frieds.
Tuesday, 30st: visiting the bank again, traveling back to Helsinki (only after meeting with Antti).
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs from July to September 2005".
Kommentit