SDM@MIT open house on Wednesday / I am too large

SDM@MIT open house on Wednesday

SDM arranged an open house meeting for prospective students. I like those meetings. It is nice to meet next years students, discuss with them, answer their questions. And having free food and beer, well, I do not mind. So, first Pat Hale gave a good overview of the program, then industry co-director John Grace told, why he thinks SDM is such a good fit for the needs of industry.
It is also fascinating how much more careful some people are than I was when applying to SDM. I just saw the program mentioned in the MBA-book by the Economist, then checked the website, and decided to apply and come here if accepted. The program was and still is exactly what was looking for: a good mix of technical courses and management courses. And hey, it is MIT, my long time dream. I had so long dreamed of studying in MIT and once I realized I have a good opportunity, I did not hesitate a minute. And also, I think that one cannot really plan one's life, one must just follow one's intuition, leap and see whether everything works out. Usually it does. But I do understand, and accept that many others are more risk averse. There is nothing wrong in being risk averse. But I am so happy, that I just leaped and came here.
John Grace told me that he has found my comments in the meetings we have been together to be very much to the point. He told too that after spotting me he was wondering whether this kind of large hippy has any brains at all. He said that I seems to have. I was so much flattered.
By the way, this year is the first time in my life I have not been bored most of the time. Clearly MIT is the place for me to be. I just need to figure out how not to be forced to leave MIT ever.

I am too large

I am way too large. My bike broke down again yesterday. It seems that I am too heavy, the back wheel get deformed way too easily. I need to get a fatter tire. It might help. It is not 32mm wide, maybe 42 or so would help. It cost 12 dollar to get the wheel fixed, so cycling is too expensive this way. Well, I will not get it fixed before leaving for Finland - I can walk, it is good enough for the last 2 days of exercise.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs from July to September 2005".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki