Back in Boston / Finland - what do I miss
Back in Boston
I am back. Rather nice to be back, meet friends and start studying. I do not yet know exactly which courses I will take this semester in addition to the mandatory ones, but I think I will have to decide today. Not having much time is nice.My cave was exactly as I left it 2 weeks ago. Nobody had broken in and cleaned it. What a disappointment! So, I had to wake up early today and clean it. I also managed to pay all my bills and none of them was late. Not bad.
Air France had sent me a letter telling that they will finally pay for the bike they destroyed. They wrote that they ask for my forgiveness and hope that I will use their services in the future. I think that I will: it took a long time for them to give me the money, but it was partly my fault too as I was not that fast in sending receipts etc. Anyway, I should receive a check soon enough.
I recounted my finances and I realized that even without taking a loan I should be able to survive at least until the end of February. At least if I do not order too many books, drink too much (or any) beer and eat in cheap places. In other words: if I study, I will be OK.
A question: why do women carry they shoulder bags under their arms, while men's bags have longer straps and hangs down at hips? S claims that it is easier to carry bags under the arm, but I am not sure.
By the way, I have some job interviews going on. One job would be managing 60 people. I am interested. Who would not? I will tell more when I or they have decided and we have done with the talking. Now, envy me!
Finland - what do I miss
I miss at least:- S, friends, relatives (but they do not live in Helsinki)
- Real Finnish food: all kinds of fish (fried, smoked), talkkuna, some types of bread,
- Trams, taking long rides on trams, looking at people and reading. It is so calming.
- Talking Finnish, being able to express my thought and feelings exactly. Being able to make quick jokes.
- The University Library
- Suomenlinna, boat, sea
- Our home, books, and other things, the view from our home
- The cafes serving good coffee in real cups
- Bars, beer
- The public sauna in Harjutori
August
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs from July to September 2005".
Kommentit