Job in New York? / Risks are getting real / A note on DSM / Something not so ordinary…

Job in New York?

I want to get a job in New York. Does anyone know some good head-hunting or recruiting company, which would be able to get me a job there?
Or, does someone know good places for networking with people, who know who hires system architects in NYC? I appreciate a lot any hints.

Risks are getting real

Steve Weber has written an article on risk management. Bob Herbert add still another story about fragilities of societies. The Iraqies are asking for their this is getting close. There are no words to decribe to attrocities. Those who commit them are the main culprits, of course, but those who destroyed the security forces are partly respobsible, too. And if they and we do not come up with more intelligent and creative solution, the mayhem is going to continue for generations. The only good thing I know is that this madness saves some oil in the ground in Iraq. We will need the oil later for drugs, plastics, etc. But they price we pay for saving oil this way is way too high.
Following Juan Cole's blog is a good way of staying on top of events in Middle-East.

A note on DSM

Today's SystemProjectManagement-class was about DSM (Design Structure Matrix). It is a way to depict the sequences and relationships amoung different tasks in a large project/process. Or actually it shows the information flows. Anyway, I think the most important use of DSM is process re-engineering. It can reveal deviations from the nominal process. Once we know the deviations, we can either change the process to agree with practice (if everything is going well) or increase discipline/incentives to work according to the official process.

Something not so ordinary

Today was turning into an ordinary day. Not good. Fortunately I got to participate in a small tram adventure late in the evening. I was reading my new Goethe-book (Maxims and reflections) and took the wrong tram and ended in the Government Center. This was not so strange, it happens once a month or so. But the tram I took back broke down 10 meters before the Park Street Station. Apparently the brakes went on or something. After some reboots, the driver gave up and we just waited for the next tram to come and push us to the station. The most surprising thing was that everyone stayed totally calm.

Nice new reading

Today I got the new issue of Arthur-magazine and the Goethe-book. Great, not just only reading system architecting and urban transport. I need to read widely every day. Otherwise I feel I am not alive.
Goethe says: No one is prepared to grasp that, both in nature and in art, the sole and supreme process is to create form and structure. I would replace structure with function. Then the maxim would be a good motto for my life.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs from July to September 2005".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki