On complexity / Daily crono so far / A curious thing
On complexity
I have been reading more about complexity. It seems to me, that all proposed complexity measures for SW and for architectures are actually watered down versions on the classic Kolmogorov-measures, especially of the field called descriptive complexity. Since it is hard, or since researchers are lazy, to really quantify the the information needed to express an architecture, most proposed measures use some rather indirect measures (like counting some simple things like number of vertices in some graphs etc). Now, either I am totally ignorant (for now, not for long) or there is simply a rather nice opportunity to really do something new here.On practical side, I recommend using TexShop and BibDesk when writing theses. They decrease the amount of manual labour by at least 50% compared to using MS Word or some similar tool. Actually, they are faster in almost any even semi-serious writing task.
Daily crono so far
I slept late, until 7.25am, had a walk, worked at home until 12 noon. While working I got to know, that a certain company does not have openings, which would be "good match" for me. This even though they boast that they recruit for talent, not for job. I have this disadvantage of believng what people and companies say, taking it by face value. I should not. Later, lunch in the Kendall foodcourt, some more work on my thesis, and then System and Project Management lecture. It was good. de Weck is a good lecturer. Now, it is time to go to the gym. It is 4.54.Oh, there were too many others in the gym at 5pm. It is not fun to train with so many other. So, I decided to have a snack with Dave, Christian and Matt, after which I procrastinated by playing pinball. But then I managed to do some work on my thesis (mainly reading one paper on a very complex graph-based method for measuring complexities of any networks - it was the first paper I did not understand right away, which is great. The harder, the better, or almost so).
Later, I went to watch Quiz show, which is our assigment for Wednesday's Ethics-class. It was a really good movie both as a movie (a docudrama) and as material for discussing ethics. I almost cannot wait for the class to start.
Back at home at 10 pm, working 45 minutes on Ethic-assigment (writing something about the movie), then revising some documents, and later reading Billy Budd. Not an ordinary day. Neither will tomorrow be an ordinary day. I will participate in an SDM information evening somewhere outside Boston. We will drive a limousine there (or I assume I will not drive since I intend to drink some beer). I have never been in limo so far. So, one thing down by tomorrow evening.
A curious thing
I have noticed, that different times of the day lend themselves to different tasks. Early morning until 1pm or so is the best time for reading new material. 1pm to 6pm is best time to go around, think, discuss, and attend classes. 6pm to 1am is the best time to write. The best times to take a nap are at 3pm, 6pm, and 9pm. The best time to have a walk is before 8am, and after 8pm. The best time to drink beer is anytime.Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs from July to September 2005".
Kommentit