Police, again / Bike OK again / Mind changing / Motto of the day / Bike broken / Police

Police, again

Today, next to the Green building in the MIT-campus, I saw how a fat police walked in front of a truck. The truck was coming from some construction site closeby. It seems, that since there is no sound signal (beeb-beeb) indicating a forward moving truck, there has to be a fat police walking in front of the truck. What a suitable job for a fat police.

Bike OK again

My bike is OK again. I also invested $24 for personal safety and bought flashing lights for getting noticed from back and front. It is really dark here in the evenings and a cyclist without lights is next to invisible. I realized that yesterday, when I encountered several of them on the Washington bridge.

Mind changing

I thought more about working as a consultant. I now think, that it would be interesting and a good way to learn more about American workplace for a certain time, not for the rest of my life. Let's see. I have already applied for many consulting jobs, but of course, no company sees it necessary to reply (well, one sent an automatic replyu, though). So, I am not holding my breath. Maybe they look my picture and decide that I would not suit their corporate image, would scare the client away or whatever.

Motto of the day

Only engage, and the mind grows heated. Begin it, and the work will be completed. says Goethe and is right. So, were I just to start writing, my thesis would be ready in no time at all.

Bike broken

Bad luck continues. I went for a short ride (I was about to ride to Watertown and back, but right after Harvard a stick went between the back wheel and the mudguard, which broke down completely and stopped my bike in no time. So, I had to use some real force and force the parts back to decent forms, so that I could ride back to the bikeshop. Cycling is getting very expensive here in USA. My bike breaks down all the time

Police

When even someone is digging a hole in the street, there is at least one police car standing next to the hole. I do not really understand, why the police has to be there? Do they suspect, that the hole diggers have something nasty in their mind? I would assume that the police would have better things to do that spends days watching hole digging. Like making sure that car drivers do not speed and that cyclist obey even rubimentary traffic rules.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs from July to September 2005".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki