Autumn bikeride

SloganIn answer to the proposal that Russian troops take part in operations in Iraq, you just want to say, "Right, like we're that stupid" Vladimir Putin, May 11, 2003 ( Not that Russia's operations in Caucasus are too wise)

Autumn bikeride

Factory in MiltonIn Boston, it pays to go cycling when weather permits. It may not do so the next day. Today the weather was exceptionally pleasant: sunny, almost calm, 14C. I packed my pannier, pumped some air to the front-tire of my bike and broke the valve. The great hissing sound. And I had to change the tire. No more spare tires were left, but I was bold enough to leave for the Blue Hills. Some redneck told me (from the relative safety of his car) that I am an idiot and should not be cycling where he is driving. I told him, that his dick is minuscule - he seemed to agree and drove away, a bit blushed. Although I am not sure whether he understood me. Who cares?
I took some pictures of the old factories by the Neponset river. A poor man was fishing there, next to a "no trespassing"-sign. Maybe fishing is not trespassing. The river and the factories reminded me of my hometown Tampere, I was homesick for several seconds. Then I left the scene.

pondHillside street is the nicest road I have seen in Boston. It connects Randolph avenue to Uniquity road. There are several stylish mansions, a horse-farm, and a nice pond by the street. There is also a short stretch with no houses, just forest and the pond. The street itself is narrow, just wide for two cars to pass each other with great care. This time I did not spot any wildlife.
Uniquity road leads to the Blue Hill Reservation headquarters. From there, I took a dirt trail trough the forest to the Trailside museum. My bike is not very good off-road, the tires are too narrow, I had to walk it uphill since there was not enough traction. Walking was better, I could watch the forest more carefully. There were some nice parts with colorful trees, but unfortunately most of the leaves were already on the ground.
Hillside StreetI returned via Blue Hill avenue and some other avenues, roads, streets, and paths to Mirja's and Milton's in Rosindale. They were not at home. I did not leave any blame at their door, for the weather was too nice for two outdoor persons to stay at home. I am sure they were hiking somewhere. So, I had to return back to Boston, but not directly. Direct returns are for non-adventurous sissies. So, I took the Hillside avenue etc to Brookline, which is quite a lively place. But I did not stop, and somehow found myself by the North Station. At this point it was getting dark and I was getting hungry. Maybe 3.5 hours cycling is enough for one day. So, I met with Kumar, who took me somewhere far away and there in the middle of nowhere, in total darkness, some nice Tamils served us extremely delicious South-Indian food. I am not such an expert in South-Indian cousine, but I trust Kumar ; he says the food was authentic.
This was my day. Not a bad day at all.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs October 2005".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki