Homesick / Networking - your help needed / On attire and interviews / On-line banking…
The best education consists in immunizing people against systematic attempts at education. Paul Feyerabend

Let's network. As you may know, I am asystem architect with 7 years of experience in designing and architecting embedded, real-time, distributes systems. I have two master's degrees: one in philosophy from University of Helsinki and the other in Engineering & Management from MIT. My resume tells the details. I am now looking for a job, in which I can use my experience in systems architecting and my education in management. I would prefer working in New York, Boston, San Francisco, London, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Venice, Tokyo, Singapore, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Sydney, Toronto, Shanghai, Hong Kong, or Amsterdam, or very near of these cities. If you have any ideas or names whom to contact, please send me email!

I bought some book with my credit card (one needs to use credit card - otherwise one does not have credit history and is a subhuman). Today, I received my bill from the bank. They asked me to send them a check to pay my credit card bill. Crazy! Using credit card is more time consuming than using cash. No benefit. I went to bank to pay the bill. It was not that easy. First, I write a check to the bank (they cannot use their computer system to transfer money from my account to theirs), then the teller copies all the information from the check to other piece of paper, ask her supervisor to sign the other piece of paper, then the teller input the information to their computer system, then the teller stamps all papers she has concerning this transaction, writes some information to some of the papers, and finally prints out two receipts for me. And I am all set.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs October 2005".
Homesick
For some reason, I went to the website of my hometown. I found a nice panorama of Tampere. It occurred, that when I was young, we never went sailing/boating on the great lakes. We used to walk on the ice in the winter, but in the summer we stayed ashore for some reason. I do not even remember anyone's parent owning a boat. My uncle had a boat for a while, but he never took us abroad. My parents used to rent a summer cottage somewhere in the countryside and we always used to have a rowboat there. Maybe that's the reason. But I am very much homesick right now.Networking - your help needed

Let's network. As you may know, I am asystem architect with 7 years of experience in designing and architecting embedded, real-time, distributes systems. I have two master's degrees: one in philosophy from University of Helsinki and the other in Engineering & Management from MIT. My resume tells the details. I am now looking for a job, in which I can use my experience in systems architecting and my education in management. I would prefer working in New York, Boston, San Francisco, London, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Venice, Tokyo, Singapore, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Sydney, Toronto, Shanghai, Hong Kong, or Amsterdam, or very near of these cities. If you have any ideas or names whom to contact, please send me email!On attire and interviews
Some companies are coming to interview me and other SDM-students here in the MIT-campus. We have been told, that we should wear "business attire" (meaning suit and tie etc) for the interviews. I find that peculiar. First of all, they are coming to our territory, and should respect the way we dress here - just as we respect their ways when going to their territory. Second, I assume, that the purpose of the interview is to check what we have in our brains, not what we have at home in the closets. Third, if they want to hire us, because of what we have in our brains, there will be plenty of time for buying the mandatory and fashionable uniform - maybe they can even give exact specification or even provide uniforms as Starbucks, Wall-Mart and other uniformed companies do. Or like the army does. That would be fine. And while they are at it, maybe they should mandate certain haircuts and sizes of people (oh, wait, Wal-Mart tries to do that already; they will not hire obese anymore).On-line banking
It seems, that my bank provides on-line banking. I can set it up myself. It also seems, that they only use password and username, not those single-use identifications as in Finland. If so, I consider the on-line system not safe enough.Muda in bank

I bought some book with my credit card (one needs to use credit card - otherwise one does not have credit history and is a subhuman). Today, I received my bill from the bank. They asked me to send them a check to pay my credit card bill. Crazy! Using credit card is more time consuming than using cash. No benefit. I went to bank to pay the bill. It was not that easy. First, I write a check to the bank (they cannot use their computer system to transfer money from my account to theirs), then the teller copies all the information from the check to other piece of paper, ask her supervisor to sign the other piece of paper, then the teller input the information to their computer system, then the teller stamps all papers she has concerning this transaction, writes some information to some of the papers, and finally prints out two receipts for me. And I am all set.Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs October 2005".
Kommentit