Thesis progress / A sign / Wall-Mart / Daily crono
Thesis progress
Assume, that we have a proof of a mathematical theorem. It has some formulas. Assume also, we have some way of measuring the complexity of the proof, say it is C. Now, let's rewrite the theorem in natural language without formulas. Does the complexity of the theorem and proof change? According to Kolmogorov, I think it will not. It is still the same theorem and the same proof. The same holds with some (or even most) SW complexity measures. They assume (and measure) the minimal formulation of a algorithm. Now, with systems architectures, assuming such a minimum is not reasonable. Even though there most likely is a minimum system fulfilling certain requirements, it is not easy to find it - if it were, we would not hesitate in implementing it. So, with systems architectures there is something different going on. But what, I am not sure. What is the effect of transformations of models on complexity? ( I have some ideas, but I will not reveal them here - and I have many other interesting questions and answers already).A sign
A sign on the door of building 9 of MIT says:The doors of the building 9 will be closed between 6pm and 6am daily. Please, do not break the doors.
Wall-Mart
Wall-Mart announced its new environmental targets today. It will try to cut down the energy use by 25% (shops) and 50% (truck), remove extra packaging in all its products. It has several reasons for doing this: the main ones being that they cannot anymore optimize their supply chain nor can they lower the salaries of their "associates". So, they have to look for savings elsewhere. Of course, the whole idea of businesses looking for (or mandating) higher mileage for trucks when the government is too sissy to do so, is both sad and funny. Also, Wall-Mart is asking the government for higher minimum salary standards. It makes sense, but still is it sad to see to trend.Daily crono
Good day today. First, writing the proposal for the "small project" for systems architecture class. It took total 10 minutes. Then the SDM townhall, which was mostly focused on the systems architecture class. Some of my class-mates think the class is waste of time etc. I do not, I think it is the best class of all. But I am biased. Then, working on thesis with great results, having sushi for dinner, and later playing pool and having beer with class-mates.My new bicycle is definitely the best one I have ever had. It is just a road-bike with straight handlebar. It is very light, maybe 12 kg or so, very agile. And it does not look too expensive even though it is. The criminals should not be too interested in it.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs October 2005".
Kommentit