Still on suits / The other side of not being tiny / A lecture on systems archictecting…
One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be done. Marie Curie
Not being tiny has some disadvantages too. First of all, I have to visit several restaurants daily. It takes time. Second, my bicycle breaks down often. Third, all kinds of seat tend to break down, not to speak of Ikea-futons. I once tested one in a Ikea-store. It broke down with a loud noise. Most seats are too small. In China, I cannot fit in bus-seat. Surprisingly also the Viking-airline Icelandair's seats are kind of small. And I do hit my head on all kinds of hard objects. Then I have a small horn for a while.
Two visits to restaurants. For lunch to the local Chinese with Kumar. The boss of the restaurant whispered to me: "No order fish now. Only one chef working". I did not order. For dinner to the Buddha's delight alone. It is extremely nice place for having real vegetarian food. After dinner, a trip to Boston College, but the cafe there was closed. During the day, two lectures, some pinball (Simpsons) and visiting an exhibition of Vietnamese art in MIT. Very colorful paintings.
I need to get back to China, but in a bit higher up position. China is just too interesting place to ignore.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs November 2005".
Still on suits
Most men wear a suit which does not suit them. The suit makes them look even fatter than they really are. This is partly due to bad cutting of the jacket and too tight trousers, and partly due to the tie, which emphasizes the curvature of their potbellies. But mostly it is due to the peculiar rule, which requires us to stuff our shirt inside our pants. This way of wearing shirt is OK only for fit and thin persons. The rest of us should check how Nelson Mandela wears his shirts.The other side of not being tiny
Not being tiny has some disadvantages too. First of all, I have to visit several restaurants daily. It takes time. Second, my bicycle breaks down often. Third, all kinds of seat tend to break down, not to speak of Ikea-futons. I once tested one in a Ikea-store. It broke down with a loud noise. Most seats are too small. In China, I cannot fit in bus-seat. Surprisingly also the Viking-airline Icelandair's seats are kind of small. And I do hit my head on all kinds of hard objects. Then I have a small horn for a while. A lecture on systems archictecting embedded systems
A systems architect from Xerox gave a lecture on embedded systems. It was a good lecture, very practical stories of the way of doing the work. I did realize, that in Nokia I was systems architecting larger, and at least as complex, systems. So, I could easily give a lecture as well. And there is no reason whatsoever to apply for some entry-level, consulting, or product manager positions. All of them would be waste of my talents.Chains of recruiting companies
Since writing a cover letter and a resume is way too difficult even for a MIT-educated engineer, not to speak of lesser mortals, an very complex industry has sprung up to help poor white-collar job applicants. First of all, there are recruiting companies, which help job applicants and employers to find each other. But this is not enough: find a suitable recruiting company is not to be left on the cleverness of the job applicant. No, there are companies, which help the poor applicant to find a recruiting company suitable for getting to the interview. I am still trying to find a company to help me to choose from several recruiting company finding companies. Please, let me know if you know a good one!Daily crono
Two visits to restaurants. For lunch to the local Chinese with Kumar. The boss of the restaurant whispered to me: "No order fish now. Only one chef working". I did not order. For dinner to the Buddha's delight alone. It is extremely nice place for having real vegetarian food. After dinner, a trip to Boston College, but the cafe there was closed. During the day, two lectures, some pinball (Simpsons) and visiting an exhibition of Vietnamese art in MIT. Very colorful paintings. Thomas Friedman on USA vs China
Thomas Friedman's column in today's NY times addresses the rise of world-class research coming from China. His uses the Microsoft's research center in Beijing as an example. The center seems to be able to outperform MIT in number of papers in certain conference. Good for them.I need to get back to China, but in a bit higher up position. China is just too interesting place to ignore.
USA vs China: Western hemisphere summit
BBC news made an interesting point. They were reporting on the America-summit in Buenos Aires, Argentina. All other presidents of Americas but Castro are there. The point was that the Latin-American increasingly see US policies as cynical and hypocritical; USA is losing its credibility. And when USA loses, China gains: both because the increasing trade and thus increasing international political clout. I think US should think a bit further ahead and make more friend and fewer foes. Maybe joining the rest of the humanity by joining the International Criminal Court or Kyoto protocol etc would be a start. Furthermore, a leader must always obey his own rules and regulation. A leader, who exempt himself is very soon a leader with no followers - and this is not a sustainable situation. Mohamed ElBaradei emphasized this in his lecture yesterday.Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs November 2005".
Kommentit