Thesis progress today / Hacking and moving / Hacking music / Nuking Iran / Thesis…

And life is about learning, about grabbing every occasion. And art is about that; art is robbery in the noblest sense. It is taking things. Art! Art! In every sense ... Yes. Architecture is about robbery. About taking, taking, taking, and about giving back. Renzo Piano

Thesis progress today

Willows in Sturrow Park 21.11.2005Today's total progress: about 4 pages, some pictures, lots of corrections to earlier chapters, very much thinking of new stuff, which is not yet ready to be written down. Not bad. Total length now: 59 pages, of which own 38 own text, rest stucture, 8 figures, no tables. Tomorrow's goal: 4 more pages, at least 4 new figures, no tables.
In other development: we got again 5 out of 5 in the Systems Architecture homework, this time the "small project". We are good and consistent. But it is thanks to Wilfried and Bill, not to me.
A short crono: 30 minutes walk in the morning, thesis work for 3 hours, lunch and coffee with Kumar, visiting MIT, playing pinball, back home thesis work until late, then dinner with Kumar and Robbie in the mall and more coffee, and back home some more thesis. Now really late, better to call it a day and read Guardian Weekly for a while.

Hacking and moving

I have found that if I sit for an extended period, like 30 minutes, at my desk, my thinking stalls, and I have a terrible urge to surrender to the pleasures of surfing. Instead, if I manage to lift my ass from the chair and walk to the other end of the room and back, I will always get new ideas, and hacking can proceed gleefully. Strange. An additional benefit: my back/shoulder never get tired and sore since I move so much.

Hacking music

While hacking my thesis, I have been listening to Bleed like me by Garbage, International superhis by Green day, and Dirty and Sister by Sonic Youth. I have also listened to punk from Rantradio.com. No classical music, just for reasons like those of Vesa Sisättö.

Nuking Iran

Willows in Sturrow Park 21.11.2005At Antiwar.com a discussion has started on whether USA is going to nuke Iran or not. Jorge Hirsch claims in his newest column that it is just a matter of time before USA (and Israel) will attack Iran, and that they will use nuclear weapons in the attack (for protecting American lives, as the excuse will be according to Hirsch. I do not know what to make out of this. Somehow I feel that even Cheney, Bush and other draft averters will not be crazy enough to do that. But when one looks what they have do so far, one cannot really know what kind of murderous fantasies they are brewing at the moment. I just hope Hirsch is wrong! Read for yourself. By the way, Dwight D. Eisenhower said:
I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.
It is a pity that the Bush and others were able to avoid the draft.

Thesis progress

My thesis now has 55 pages as a whole, but only 34 of own writing, the rest is cover, contents etc. I have 31 references and I assume there will be about 10 more to come as I am not quite ready yet. I assume I will still write 20 pages and call it a thesis. Should not be too hard not that I have really started.
Update at 5.30pm. Two more pages ready. Now for a short walk and then a few pages more. I am not running out of ideas yet.

Splendid week ahead

This week is going to be excellent. I will write my thesis as a man possessed by the gods of science. I will even meet professor Crawley to discuss what I have come up with. In addition, the weather is going to be rather nice, so I can go for walks in morning and evening. Also, friends are still here, so we can have dinners together. What else? Nothing much, but I am happy with what I listed. Now I do feel possessed!

On materialism

I spent most of Sunday reading The high price of materialism by Tim Kasser. It made me, again, rethink some of my pursuits. More about them later. If you cannot read the book, read the review (link above). The books is quite important one and makes one think about the future of our societies quite deeply.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs November 2005".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki