A job for Java-gurus / An answer / Are the Pakistani inferior as humans to the Americans?

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. Henry David Thoreau

A job for Java-gurus

If you know Java and want to work at the leading edge of the telecom industry, check out this open position. I applied for it, got an oral offer, but was later, after 40 days, told that I do not know enough Java or the existing Preminet-solution and that learning them would take at least a year. Imagine how hard these things are: it takes as long to learn Java and Preminet as it takes to complete two master's degrees in MIT. Certainly it takes an extraordinary genius to do the former. What a challenge it would have been!
Since the job is now open in the internet, I conclude that nobody in the corporation has the other required skills and experience and is a Java-guru and knows Preminet well enough. Finding such a person will be hard, since not many people outside the corporation have experience on Preminet, and that is why I want to advertise the position. Go for it, you gurus! It will be an exciting and well rewarded job for you.
A warning
A warning though, before you get too excited, my dear guru-reader. As a systems architect, I regard any system, which takes an experienced and competent systems architect a year to learn, excessively complicated. Any such system must be re-architected and re-designed. Otherwise, such a level of complicatedness will certainly yield huge quality problems in the implementation as there is no possibility for the implementors to get it right. And once such a system has been debugged together, the result is too fragile to allow for any new functionality or performance/reliability improvements, and the project has run over budget, and the project is late. I have not seen the actual design of Preminet, but if the level of difficulty due to complicatedness is as high as I was told, I would be very worried, no matter which stakeholder of Preminet I would be. You have been warned about the challenges ahead!

An answer

Juan Cole's Top Ten Mistakes of the Bush Administration in Reacting to Al-Qaeda has a partial answer to my earlier question. It clarifies the reasons, but does not provide any justification. And he has a very dire prediction as well:
The CIA is reduced to firing predators at villages because our counterterrorism efforts have been starved for funds by the Iraq quagmire. If al-Qaeda does pull off another American operation, it may well give Bush and Cheney an opportunity to destroy the US constitution altogether, finally giving Bin Laden his long-sought revenge on Americans for the way he believes they have forced Palestinians and other Muslims to live under lawless foreign domination or local tyranny.

Are the Pakistani inferior as humans to the Americans?

A letter to the editor in the Boston Globe today raised a good question regarding the unfortunate (criminal, terroristic) bombing of civilians in the sovereign country of Pakistan by the USA. The writer asked, whether the US would bomb any house, know/suspected to be inhabited by bin-Laden, in Europe/USA/Australia/Japan, or even in China or India? If not, why is it OK to bomb houses in Pakistan? I think the problem would exist even if the house would not have civilians in it, but having civilians in the house make the question much harder.
And, by the way, why is bombing a civilian house in Pakistan a lesser act of terrorism than bombing one in New York or Tel Aviv or a bus in London? It cannot be because the bombers/terrorists are employed by the US government. This is because the US government, by its own declaration, is trying to get rid of all governments supposedly supporting terrorists or committing terrorist deeds. Or, actually, when I think of the actions of the current US government, it is seemingly committing a suicide slowly. Maybe it is taking itself by its own words and self-destructing.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January to February 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki