Back in Boston / Plans / Transit paradise

After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. Nelson Mandela

Back in Boston

We are back in Boston. It is raining, torrentially. Nice way to feel home again. The flight from SF was not nice, as I assume is the case with all red-eye flights. Flight is too short for really trying to sleep and the seats are just too small for me. So, a long nap was appropriate back in home. Then, to MIT in rain, soaked. Later, I gave me thesis the professor Crawley. I hope he finds it good enough and signs the paper. Then I would be done with MIT for a short while.

Plans

My plans for the future are becoming clear. Two things: it seems that no company is willing to hire a real system architect, one that would design systems according to the state-of-the-art way of working. All companies are hiring just technical subsystem architects, mainly for hacking with Java etc. I am not interested, since the real problems with systems development are not purely technical, or programming language/environment related. Second, in academia one can deal with real systems in their entire scope: technical, management, and social science. No company allows that. So, it is back to academia for me after a short stint in corporate world to fill in the time between this degree and starting my PhD.

Transit paradise

San Francisco is definitely the transit paradise of the world. They have so many different, and efficient, transit systems. Using the transit systems is very cheap, easy, and fun. I just wonder why someone would want to own a car in such a paradise.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January to February 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki