Hamas won / On teaching & learning / Some links

Only Americans can hurt America. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Hamas won

Hamas won the elections in Palestine and has now the responsibility and privilege to try to from a government. The situation is strange: some of the goals of Hamas (to destroy Israel) are absolutely outrageous and keeping them while in the power is a recipe for escalating the war, which is in nobody's interests (at least not in the interests of civilians in either Palestine or Israel). This goal, together with some long term enmity among I, P, and US, caused both I and US to promise not to recognize any government in which Hamas is a member. But doing so would show disregard for democracy, which US certainly cannot afford to show. Let's see.

On teaching & learning

Looking back at the courses I took in MIT I have to say that I am really pleased to realize the value of different teaching styles. Every professor has his/her own teaching style, own way of constructing the assignments (some call them homework, some opportunity sets, some projects). Sometimes, in the beginning of the course, something in the teaching or assignments does not feel really right, but after the course I always realized that I had learned a lot. The moral is: give the professor some benefit of doubt and miracles will happen. And, by the way, variability has its own, great value.

Some links

Professor Hunter, who taught me technology strategy, has a very interesting blog. I did not know that his interests are so wide ranging.
And, via BoingBoing, instructions on how to make your paper Saturn 5. Maybe I will try it when I am back in Finland and have next to nothing to do. If such time ever comes.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January to February 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki