MIT nuclear reactor / Officially an engineer

We must make demands of reason and create a life worthy of ourselves and of the goals we only dimly perceive Andrei Sakharov

MIT nuclear reactor

We visited the MIT nuclear reactor in the morning. Since we got in, I know that nothing suspicious turns out, when they search for me in the internet, FBI's databases, etc. So, in we went, first for a short lecture by Mr. Lau, the boss of the place. Then, for a short visit the the reactor building itself, where we were shown several experiments they are conducting using the reactor. The reactor has been designed to leak neutrons, and those neutrons are then used for all kinds of experiments. The most interesting research has to do with treatment of cancer. For example, already now they can make tiny grains of gold radioactive and insert the grains next to a melanoma-tumor, which then destroys the tumor. Also, they run very experimental research on some fatal brain tumors: put some boron in the tumor cell (by adding boron to some amimo acid, which binds only to tumor cells), then shoot the brain with a certain type of neutron-beam, and the boron will split into lithium and an alpha-particle. Tumor cell dies. Clever, but not yet working perfectly.
In all, the reactor is very much worth visiting. Do not miss it, if you study in MIT, or can otherwise get in. And stay out of FBI's list of wanted assholes.

Officially an engineer

I think I am officially an engineer and manager now that I have submitted my thesis. So, I will get my certificate in June, but already now you may start to address me as "Your Highness, Master of Science in Engineering and Management". Or, shortly "nerd".
Being all set and an engineer-manager/nerd is as good reason as any to have some beer. First, we (I and S) went to some diner in the Davis Square to celebrate, later I will meet (hopefully) some class-mates in the Muddy Charles.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January to February 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki