Moving over / Things I admire in USA, part 2 / A dream

How bold one gets when one is sure of being loved! Sigmund Freud

Moving over

S has left for Helsinki, I am at Dave's. It took surprisingly long to empty my small cave, maybe because we had to really think about what to S would take to Finland today, what I will take later, and what to throw away. It was simply amazing how well I had made the cave my home. I think I will miss it more than the 4-bedroom, 2-story home we had in China.

Things I admire in USA, part 2

Continuing from yesterday:
  • 7. Contemporary architecture as a form of art
  • 8. Great bridges and other civil architecture projects
  • 9. NYC subway system
  • 10. Philanthropy by the mega-rich and volunteerism by not so rich
  • 11. Music: jazz, blues, rock, etc.
  • 12. Some museums: Moma, Metropolitan, Smithsonian, etc.
More tomorrow, or some other day.

A dream

I had a dream. Far in the future, a kind of time-machine cum space-ship was built. I was an explorer on the ship and was sent to a far away world. To my great surprise, the other world was almost like ours. Except that there were more cars and they were moving faster. Somehow I got involved in some resistance movement. After a while, the local police found me. I started to run away, over the cars. To my surprise, if I shouted a name of a deconstructionist philosopher while running on top of a car, the policemen lost some energy and I was able to get away from them. But after a while, I did not remember any more such philosphers, and the policemen became immune to already mentioned ones. But Derrida seemed to work for a long time. The powers of Barthes and Lacan were very short living.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January to February 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki