Urine samples / PhD-application / On Iraq
Java is the SUV of programming tools. Philip Greenspun
At the same time, Juan Cole reports that there is a real danger of all-out civil war in Iraq. So, $2 trillion and no progress.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January to February 2006".
Urine samples
Look at these: Substance Abuse Screening Test Consent Form and Background Consent Form from EMC. I think I will not apply. Not that I am taking any "illegal or controlled" substances, except codeine for my persistent cough, o that there is something suspicious in my past, but I take these form (and their prominent place on EMC's website) as sign of not trusting their employees. And by the way: if I visit country X and use a legal drug (there, but not in USA), why should it make me unsuitable as a EMC-employee in USA? And since we know, that the illegal drugs are not the most dangerous (or disabling) ones, I do not see any reason for this kinds of drug testing. Really suspicious company. I just wonder how often they test their employee: if the testing is really meant to imporve safety (sic!), they should test everyone, upto the CEO, every morning. By the way, they are firing 1000 employees this year, even though their profits are very high: they just want to get rid of 1000 bad employees...PhD-application
I have now submitted my PhD-application. It looks quite nice. I am sure I will be accepted to ESD's PhD-program. At some point I thought that getting a PhD from ESD would not be that glamorous/impressive. But I think it is. It is part of MTI and what really matters is the quality of the thesis itself. One just has to write a thesis, which is worth reading for many people. Or at least try to do so.On Iraq
According to news today, the war in Iraq will cost USA at least $2 trillion. It is amazing that such a waste of money and resources is acceptable to the general public, that there is not any bigger opposition. Investing the same amount in education, health care, infrastructure etc would make a real difference and really enhance the national security. Or, investing the money in changing the energy system and in mitigating the negative effects of global warming would both be a good headway towards a solution and would also benefit the US economy. It is a pity that non-patriotic people have the power right now.At the same time, Juan Cole reports that there is a real danger of all-out civil war in Iraq. So, $2 trillion and no progress.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January to February 2006".
Kommentit