Alkubaari / Updating my head / Can Finland afford to be wealthy?
When there is a lack of honor in government, the morals of the whole people are poisoned. Herbert Hoover
We had a lunch in the Alkubaari. I had whitefish with egg-dill-sauce, S has game-stew or something like that. Or maybe it was fried moose. Both very quite OK, very Finnish, and have certainly enough butter in them. The bar/restaurant itself if small, very basic, at the border of authentic and artificial. It has all the elements of a 70s-bar, but somehow it feels a bit contrived, like stepping in an old movie. Maybe it tries to be too authentic. Anyway, very much worth a visit, but I still prefer Heippa's place in Kallio.
I would like to update my head about the recent political literature and discussion in Finland. I know of older books by Soininvaara, the new book by Penttilä and of some other books. But I have not been following the discussion for the last three years. As I am planning to write the books on the industrial policy of Finland, I need to know what others have been writing. Please, leave a comment. Tell, which books I definitely need to read.
Finland cannot rely on only telecommunication, forestry, and machinery in the future. They are not growing industries any more &mdash they grow more or less as the general economy grows. They are also industries, in which countries with cheaper labour and other expenses can take over from Finland, mostly due to Finnish companies relocating to other countries.
Finland must thus find new areas for building growing industries. The news areas must be such, that there is a certain growth, the solutions are not in cheap labour, but in clever systems development and integration.
The three most promising areas are energy systems, transportation systems, and health care systems. The world is facing now and is going to face dire problems in all these systems. None of the systems cannot be fixed by local optimisation, or use of a single new technology (solar cells, hybdrid cars, genetic medicine, you name it). Solutions and lucrative business opportunities are in systems as a whole &mdash just like Nokia has been developing and selling telecommunication systems, not mobile phones.
To develop the new systems, we need co-operation of the leading companies (e.g. Nokia), state and its funding agencies, the Finnish academia, and local communities willing to test the prototypes in real practice. This is how Finns have worked in the past. We need to renew the spirit of co-operation, in a way a commercial talkoot benefiting the whole society.
I am going to write a short (30 pages or so) pamphlet on this topic quite soon. We need to raise the level of awareness and discussion before the coming parliamentary elections in a year. Please, if you want to help me in my efforts, leave a comment or send me email.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Alkubaari
We had a lunch in the Alkubaari. I had whitefish with egg-dill-sauce, S has game-stew or something like that. Or maybe it was fried moose. Both very quite OK, very Finnish, and have certainly enough butter in them. The bar/restaurant itself if small, very basic, at the border of authentic and artificial. It has all the elements of a 70s-bar, but somehow it feels a bit contrived, like stepping in an old movie. Maybe it tries to be too authentic. Anyway, very much worth a visit, but I still prefer Heippa's place in Kallio.Updating my head
I would like to update my head about the recent political literature and discussion in Finland. I know of older books by Soininvaara, the new book by Penttilä and of some other books. But I have not been following the discussion for the last three years. As I am planning to write the books on the industrial policy of Finland, I need to know what others have been writing. Please, leave a comment. Tell, which books I definitely need to read. Can Finland afford to be wealthy?
Finland cannot rely on only telecommunication, forestry, and machinery in the future. They are not growing industries any more &mdash they grow more or less as the general economy grows. They are also industries, in which countries with cheaper labour and other expenses can take over from Finland, mostly due to Finnish companies relocating to other countries. Finland must thus find new areas for building growing industries. The news areas must be such, that there is a certain growth, the solutions are not in cheap labour, but in clever systems development and integration.
The three most promising areas are energy systems, transportation systems, and health care systems. The world is facing now and is going to face dire problems in all these systems. None of the systems cannot be fixed by local optimisation, or use of a single new technology (solar cells, hybdrid cars, genetic medicine, you name it). Solutions and lucrative business opportunities are in systems as a whole &mdash just like Nokia has been developing and selling telecommunication systems, not mobile phones.
To develop the new systems, we need co-operation of the leading companies (e.g. Nokia), state and its funding agencies, the Finnish academia, and local communities willing to test the prototypes in real practice. This is how Finns have worked in the past. We need to renew the spirit of co-operation, in a way a commercial talkoot benefiting the whole society. I am going to write a short (30 pages or so) pamphlet on this topic quite soon. We need to raise the level of awareness and discussion before the coming parliamentary elections in a year. Please, if you want to help me in my efforts, leave a comment or send me email.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Kommentit