Commute / Work? / Better than anticipated / Back to work
The difficulty lies, not in the new ideas, but in escaping the old ones, which ramify, for those brought up as most of us have been, into every corner of our minds. John Maynard Keynes
In any case, having to take any form of motorised transit/transport in the morning and in the afternoon is very bad for mood and soul. It leaves me too full of energy, and lowers my spirit. I would definitely work better if I could walk to the office. Cycling is OK as well, but I cycling in the mid of the Finnish winter is not my cup of tea.
I need to find out whether I could tele-commute in the future. For one or two days in a week. I doubt I could, for the things I should do require a lot of personal meetings.
I have had this attitude and many problems due to it in the past. I hope for less problems in the future, but I am not sure how much I can help myself.
Today is full of hoping for good things. Luckily, there is hope.
It was nice to meet old colleagues and friends. They have not changed that much. Petri told me that I smile much more than I did back in 2004. I really hope I can maintain the smile for a long time.
Somehow I still feel bad about working. I really would prefer studying. But there is time to study and time to work. I hope the times are a-changing. But I know, that it will be easier to leave home for work tomorrow than it was today.
I am about to travel to the darkness and emptiness of the countryside west of Helsinki. The office I should start working in next to a highway and a pine forest. What a miserable location to spend 8 hours a day. There is a huge mall about 1 km in the north. In the mall, nothing but large shops, not a single decent restaurant, not a nice cafeteria. Nor does the office have a nice cafeteria, but a large lunch place with industrial food. Finnish food, nutritious but taste-free, even the coffee is not even bitter, only lame.
And the building itself is nothing short of hideous.
My feelings about the work are a bit divided. They will pay me twice the median salary in Finland, but that's what they were paying back in 2004 already. It is a good salary, but apparently they value MIT-education as totally worthless. Let's see.
I am thinking of becoming a tram-driver. That would be easy and honestly a no-brainer job, not just by exclusion.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Commute
Commuting from Kallio to Leppävaara is not as bad as I thought. The trains were not too full. Next week, I can take the bus and avoid the horrendous Sello-mall. It will make my commute much more tolerable.In any case, having to take any form of motorised transit/transport in the morning and in the afternoon is very bad for mood and soul. It leaves me too full of energy, and lowers my spirit. I would definitely work better if I could walk to the office. Cycling is OK as well, but I cycling in the mid of the Finnish winter is not my cup of tea.
I need to find out whether I could tele-commute in the future. For one or two days in a week. I doubt I could, for the things I should do require a lot of personal meetings.
Work?
I have nothing against work as such, but I have quite much against of being part/member of any larger group. Even more, I just cannot stand any authorities (persons who try to have power over me). I can somewhat tolerate authorities, whom I can judge more competent, experienced, and at least as intelligent than/as I judge myself. Since I have chosen to work for lesser authorities in the past, I have become quite allergic to any authority. I assume that I should start my own small consulting company, or go for a PhD. Either would free me from any empty authorities. Although, right now I seem to have avoided this problem.I have had this attitude and many problems due to it in the past. I hope for less problems in the future, but I am not sure how much I can help myself.
Today is full of hoping for good things. Luckily, there is hope.
Better than anticipated
The things I have been allocated for at work turned out to be more interesting than I anticipated. I may even get somewhat excited, and not exited. At least I hope so.It was nice to meet old colleagues and friends. They have not changed that much. Petri told me that I smile much more than I did back in 2004. I really hope I can maintain the smile for a long time.
Somehow I still feel bad about working. I really would prefer studying. But there is time to study and time to work. I hope the times are a-changing. But I know, that it will be easier to leave home for work tomorrow than it was today.
Back to work
I am about to travel to the darkness and emptiness of the countryside west of Helsinki. The office I should start working in next to a highway and a pine forest. What a miserable location to spend 8 hours a day. There is a huge mall about 1 km in the north. In the mall, nothing but large shops, not a single decent restaurant, not a nice cafeteria. Nor does the office have a nice cafeteria, but a large lunch place with industrial food. Finnish food, nutritious but taste-free, even the coffee is not even bitter, only lame. And the building itself is nothing short of hideous.
My feelings about the work are a bit divided. They will pay me twice the median salary in Finland, but that's what they were paying back in 2004 already. It is a good salary, but apparently they value MIT-education as totally worthless. Let's see.
I am thinking of becoming a tram-driver. That would be easy and honestly a no-brainer job, not just by exclusion.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Kommentit