Curse of suburbia / In the subway / Parliament, here I come / Lose ankles / Holiday over

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Curse of suburbia

We went to check a cheap apartment in the suburbs. There were reasons for the cheap rent, reasons we could accept in Kallio, but not in the suburbs. It is too peaceful over there, so peaceful that it threatens peace in our family. I would go nuts in no time without drunkards, bars, noisy cafes, life in general. So, we decided not to rent the apartment. Instead, we took the 4-tram back to Kallio and went for a pint in the Exodus-bar. Half of the Afro-Finnish reggae-community were there. So calming after the trip to suburbs. The name of the suburb is Munkkiniemi.

In the subway

They say that we Finns are not talkative. Today, in the subway, four women were sitting next to each other. They were talking. Each on her own mobile phone.

Parliament, here I come

Now that I cannot get to MIT, I may as well try to get elected to the Finnish parliament. I wonder which party would provide best odds for me? Or should I obey some ideology of mine, not just pure cold-blooded calculation? Or should I be like a cuckoo and put the nest of strict and liberal party in some other party?
The first step (and stop) will be to become famous. Now, some planning. A book or two, some TV-ads and shows. This is getting interesting.

Lose ankles

I am not a young stallion anymore. I am a bit older stallion. My legs can take only a certain amount of exercise. Yesterday's walking sprained my left ankle. I had to get humble and take a bus to work. Very bad for my mood. Somehow I managed to behave myself at work. Miracles do happen, even after biblical times. Or, has something brainwashed bad things from my brain?

Holiday over

I had put everything on hold waiting for MIT to tell my near future fate. Now it did. I have accepted it and started to work again. I assume I would do wise to do my jobs with the best of my ability, whatever that is good enough for. At the same time, I will start to write articles, read more books, take part in politics, maybe apply for some higher level/responsibility jobs, meet friendS, and in general enjoy my life to the fullest.
I will take a serious note on the Churchill quote above.
Anyway, having a 7-month holiday should be quite enough. Now, back to work. With the maximum energy and intensity.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki