Happy editing / Broken communication / Vim works fine / Screwed

It is impossible to speak in such a way that you cannot be misunderstood. Karl Popper

Happy editing

I have now written a few short documents with Vim. I have to say that it is much faster, easier, and more enjoyable to write with Vim than it is with, say, Word.
Actually, I think that MS Office together with the way it is used by companies today, is decreasing productivity. It is too easy to write Word-docs, hide them somewhere in shared hard drives or databases. Or, write Word-docs, attach PowerPoint, which include Word-docs. All this instead of using the powers of HTML and such. Pity.

Broken communication

Mr. Bush sent a letter to Mr. Sistani. From JuanCole.com
Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani has blown off the president of the United States. Bush sent Sistani a letter asking him to intervene to help end the gridlock in the formation of a new Iraqi government. Asked about his response, an aide said that Sistani had not opened the letter and had put it aside in his office.
Funny, eh.

Vim works fine

Musicnaut suggested Vim for editor. Good suggestion. It works fine and has a working spell checker. Life is nice now!
Any simple editors for Windows?
For Apple, the simple TextEdit is just nice for writing. It has automatic spell checker. At work, I have to use Windows. Word is too heavy for writing small things (and I just hate semi-WYSIWYG editor with Word's attitude and stubborness). Notepad does not have spell checker and sucks also otherwise.
Am I out of luck? Any suggestions? I know of Outlook, but I would like to use a real editor, not email-program.

Screwed

I got some unofficial information from MIT regarding my rejected PhD-application. They say that I should have supplied many good supporting letters from MIT faculty with my application. The requirements asked for one. As a bit legalistic Finn, I took the requirements seriously and only supplied one. Had I known that in USA one always needs to overact, even in this kind of situations, I could have easily supplied at least 6 letters. I think I am in good terms with several faculty members.
So, I was screwed by a cultural difference.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki