Missing a bird / Winter / On cubicles / A discussion
If a problem cannot be solved, enlarge it. Dwight D. Eisenhower
There are many signs of a lively population of rabbits around our office.
This is a strange winter, a winter from my childhood. The temperature stays below -10C most of the day, the sun shines, clouds are few. No wind, very calm and quiet. Days like these are superb for walking on the frozen sea. Maybe I have time tomorrow, on Saturday, for such a walk.
The weather would be fine also for skiing and skating, but I do not own skis or skates. Poor me. Another fun thing would be to take some hot coffee in a thermos and have a quick picnic on ice. Maybe on Sunday.
The article is worth reading. It also has a nice photo gallery of the evolution, although it does not show cubicles in their current misery. Maybe that would be too much for CNN-viewers.
The article predicts, that telecommuting (or even working from Starbucks) is the trend of the future. It allows companies to shrink their offices further, saving them money. Of course, telecommuters must pay for their own office space.
Once telecommuting becomes common, some clever employees realise that it simply does not make any sense to work for a corporation and telecommute. It pays more to move to (personal) consulting, for consulting fees are about 3 times the salaries.
Anyway, I think I have to get a telecommuting permission. Commuting to the countryside just does not make any sense. It takes too much time, makes me sad. The only tolerable way is to walk to the Pasila station, take a fast train from there and then walk to the office in Säteri. Back home, I think the best option is to take the 205-bus to the centre of the city and have a cup of coffee in some civilised place, such as Rytmi and forget the depressing countryside.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Missing a bird
In 2004, when I worked here, a black woodpecker used to have its lunch in the forest. It is a beautiful bird to look at. This week I have not seen it yet. I am missing it, for being in the countryside but not seeing wildlife is boring.There are many signs of a lively population of rabbits around our office.
Winter
This is a strange winter, a winter from my childhood. The temperature stays below -10C most of the day, the sun shines, clouds are few. No wind, very calm and quiet. Days like these are superb for walking on the frozen sea. Maybe I have time tomorrow, on Saturday, for such a walk. The weather would be fine also for skiing and skating, but I do not own skis or skates. Poor me. Another fun thing would be to take some hot coffee in a thermos and have a quick picnic on ice. Maybe on Sunday.
On cubicles
Bill sent me a link to a very intersting article on the history of cubicles. It turns out, that cubicles were intended to be a good thing, but due to simple economic (management by Excel, not by intellect) they evolved to the productivity destroying method of storing employees of today.
The article is worth reading. It also has a nice photo gallery of the evolution, although it does not show cubicles in their current misery. Maybe that would be too much for CNN-viewers. The article predicts, that telecommuting (or even working from Starbucks) is the trend of the future. It allows companies to shrink their offices further, saving them money. Of course, telecommuters must pay for their own office space.
Once telecommuting becomes common, some clever employees realise that it simply does not make any sense to work for a corporation and telecommute. It pays more to move to (personal) consulting, for consulting fees are about 3 times the salaries.
Anyway, I think I have to get a telecommuting permission. Commuting to the countryside just does not make any sense. It takes too much time, makes me sad. The only tolerable way is to walk to the Pasila station, take a fast train from there and then walk to the office in Säteri. Back home, I think the best option is to take the 205-bus to the centre of the city and have a cup of coffee in some civilised place, such as Rytmi and forget the depressing countryside.
A discussion
9am, at a subway station. I am standing, thinking of office architectures. A drunkards come, bloody nose, uncombed hair. Says: "Sorry that I disturb, but could help me a little. Could you spare a change. I need to get a can . Surprised of his honesty, I: I think a can is appropriate at this time of the day. He: Excatly. I give him some coins from my pocket, he thanks and goes for the can.Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Kommentit