New commuting alternatives / Three years of mindless killing / Kind of normal day /…

A clever man commits no minor blunders. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

New commuting alternatives

I tried two new commuting alternatives today. In the morning, I took the bus number 17 to the Pasila railway station and then the A-train to work. This route takes 40 minutes — only 7 minutes less than walking to Pasila. In the afternoon, I took the bus number 106. Its route offers a nice tour of suburbs of suburbs, but takes only 26 minutes to Helsinki. So, this way takes the normal 40 minutes from office to home. All alternatives are as bad. I think it is best to continue walking until weather allows cycling.

Three years of mindless killing

Mindless killing in Iraq has continued for three years. Mr. Bush claim some progress, but the ex-primiminister of Iraq says Iraqis are waging civil war. I cannot see how a civil war can be called progress.
For more commentary on this sad war, see Antiwar.com and JuanCole.com or any honest newspaper. I am too sad to write more. I should get anrgy, for one cannot be angry for long without doing something. I hope I get angry soon, again.

Kind of normal day

A succession of ordinary days is threatening me. I seem to get to the office at 9am, work until 5pm or 6pm, return home via some cafeteria, read books. A few times a week I visit the gym. I really have to take care not to get too used of this kind of life — something new has to happen every day. Well, there are new things taking place at work every day, but I need new things in the evening as well.

Transportation and energy

Today's Helsingin sanomat tells about a study on energy consumption of different transportation modes. The FIN-MIPS-project has calculated the amount (in kilograms) of non-renevable resources per passenger kilometre:
  1. Car: 1.44
  2. Train: 1.20
  3. Airliner (in Finland): 0.56
  4. Bicycle: 0.38
  5. Bus: 0.32
  6. Boat: 0.26
Results are a bit surprising. It seems that flying is not as bad as commonly though. This is due to small ground infrastructure.

Even though I know Michael Lettenmeier, who co-ordinated the study, I would like to see the calculations. The results are so counter-intuitive, that I want to check them.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki