Nokia's ex-CEO's worries on energy etc / Discussion with a tram driver / Walking /…

Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise. Sigmund Freud

Nokia's ex-CEO's worries on energy etc

Kalle Isokallio, who used to be Nokia's CEO before Jorma Ollila, has since been writing absurd novels and columns to the local yellow press. He can afford such hobbies, for he cannot work or else he will not receive his sizeable lay-off salary from Nokia. Or, rather, he cannot afford to work...
Today he writes on future: fiscal policy and energy problems. He claims that the US economy will crash and cause a worldwide depression in the next 3 to 5 years. Very plausible. He also has noted that we will run out of oil in the next decades. Very plausible.
To prepare for the depression, Isokallio recommends paying off (as much as possible) of the loans the Finnish state has. I agree: we have too high unemployment already. We cannot handle a depression by increasing unemployment. We have to take loan and be Keynesian.
To prepare for the end of oil, Isokallio recommends building more nuclear power, which in my opinion may turn out to be necessary — I still need to think a bit more about the role of nuclear power in the future. But Isokallio's other proposal is far more controversial, especially by a former CEO: Finland should nationalise Fortum, the former power monopoly of Finland. Having nationalised Fortum the state should start building nuclear several nuclear power plants.
Very interesting, very controversial. But I have to agree with Isokallio on the fact that the Finnish politician are dealing with too small and insignificant issues at the moment.
Either I am getting old, Isokallio is getting young, or something else is happening, for I tend to agree with him more and more.

Discussion with a tram driver

A tram is waiting for another to leave the tram stop by the Stockman department store. I wait by the front door.
Driver: I have to wait, only one tram fits the stop.
I: Yes, so it seems. You also have to watch for the pedestrians.
Driver: Well, not really. They will move away.
I: Really?
Driver: Yes, usually I do not even notice them. A bit rude, is it not. But, hey, it is not even a crosswalk.

Walking

Well, 40 minutes of walking was enough this time. It was really nice, rather warm, and quiet once I got away from the highway. The highway of course splits the scenery and pollutes everything by the sea. If only there were a simple and cheap way for putting all highways in tunnels. At least those by the sea. But there is no such a way — except replacing the highway with an elevated trains such as the BART-train in San Francisco.

Fantastic weather

Right now: clear skies, sun, 0C, calm. I have to leave the office before late, walk through the forest, over an old garbage dump, by the sea, to the city. It is just too beautiful outside to be sitting in the office. And anyway, I managed to do something for my salary already.
See Sami's blog for some nice pictures of Helsinki, when the late spring is at its best.
It is about 10 km from here to my home. I assume I will walk the whole distance, unless I get bored. I should not, for I have not walked this part of the city for a long time. There should be some new buildings here and there. I may also see some nice birds or other wildlife. Like a random drunkard.

Blogging and working

Blogging is always fun. Working is fun most of the time. But it is not fun that I cannot blog about my work. Last year, I blogged often about my studies. Now I have to invent new topics. But I am, at least temporarily, tired of writing about politics. Let's see: maybe I should try my hand at literary criticism, at writing haikus, or modern poetry.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki