Reading / Finnish complaining choir / Photoreading / Prices of CDs / Looking for a new…
Most of American [Finnish] life consists of driving somewhere and then returning home, wondering why the hell you went. John Updike
The new, maybe excessive, emphasis on reading and basic mathematics is due to the "No child left back" act, which mandates annual reading and math tests and couples funding of schools with the test results. I am sure, that the test results are improving. I am not sure how education in general fares. It is well know in management, that one gets what one measures and prises for. Too simple or one-sided incentives regularly yield bigger problems that the one they were supposed to solve.
The Edinburg complaining choir is one of the works of art in the ARS06. It is a choir, which signs/recites common complaints in pubs, parks, and squares. Quite fun, actually, at least the video is hilarious. The Finns also picked up the idea. Today The Finnish complaining choir gave its comments on the Finnish way of life. It was not as fun as the Edinburgeans complaints. Somehow the Finns too complaining a bit too seriously.
I was sitting by the Kiasma-museum and saw a large gathering of citizen by the statue of the late president Paasikivi. The gathering was so solemn. They seemed to be worshipping Paasikivi.
Imagine now. Wittgenstein's Tractatus has 84 pages (a Finnish edition) or 75 pages (a German edition). I once spent a whole term in a course about the book and days by reading it. If I had known about Photoreading, I could have made it in less than 20 minutes as Photoreading consists of preparation and reading. How stupid of me to spend hours on the book! I know academics, who have used years by reading book. What a waste, what a old-fashioned way of working. No wonder not all of them are professors and they do not earn huge sums of money.
I like the Elephant-CD by White Stripes so much, that I want to buy it, not just copy it from a friend. The CD costs 21.7 euros ($26) in the Stockman department store in Helsinki. Amazon.com sells the same CD for $13 plus shipping, total cost of $20. So, by ordering it from USA, I would save 5 euros. Or, if I would buy a used one via Amazon.com, it would cost $12 (10 euros). I cannot see any reason for buying CDs at Stockman's. I see a reason for buying some CDs from small local record companies, for I cherish their existence.
I would appreciate any leads.
On Saturday, we (I and S) went shopping for futon at the Futon shop. They have superb futons, but prices are a bit high for my taste. In USA, I bought a decent futon (with a frame) with $350, here something similar would cost much more. Still, I am quite sure we will buy one later this spring.
Later, I visited the ARS 06 exhibition with Petri. The exhibition is well worth a visit. Some works of arts are remarkable and give a lot to think about. But all of them are quite dark, full of death, war, agony, pain, misery. Armageddon is definitely coming soon.
Still later, a night of pinball and arcade games at Lemmy's residence in Lauttasaari. He has 5 pinball machines (Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Circus Voltaire, Adams Family, and Twilight Zone), all video-game machines from arcane Commodores to the new X-box. I have never seen such a collection. But the pinball machines were the highlight of the evening, especially the Adams Family. It is such a fast and difficult game, very rewarding for the fleeting moment that one sometimes masters it. I scored 127 million.
See also Lavonardo's account on the game night.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Reading
It seems that there would be a huge and ripe market for Photoreading (see below) in the USA. Today's NY Times runs a story on how thousand of schools are cutting back on anything but reading and basic mathematics. They should use Photoreading, the new silver bullet against the scourge of illiteracy.The new, maybe excessive, emphasis on reading and basic mathematics is due to the "No child left back" act, which mandates annual reading and math tests and couples funding of schools with the test results. I am sure, that the test results are improving. I am not sure how education in general fares. It is well know in management, that one gets what one measures and prises for. Too simple or one-sided incentives regularly yield bigger problems that the one they were supposed to solve.
Finnish complaining choir
The Edinburg complaining choir is one of the works of art in the ARS06. It is a choir, which signs/recites common complaints in pubs, parks, and squares. Quite fun, actually, at least the video is hilarious. The Finns also picked up the idea. Today The Finnish complaining choir gave its comments on the Finnish way of life. It was not as fun as the Edinburgeans complaints. Somehow the Finns too complaining a bit too seriously. I was sitting by the Kiasma-museum and saw a large gathering of citizen by the statue of the late president Paasikivi. The gathering was so solemn. They seemed to be worshipping Paasikivi.
Photoreading
Helsingin sanomat ran an article on Photoreading, which claims to be a technique by which anyone can read 25000 words per minutes (60 or more pages per minute), remember and comprehend the material, earn more money, lessen the information stress cause by the internet etc. Oh, did I mention, that Photoreading also is essential for career progress. Also, being legally blind is no obstacle. Even almost blind can photoread! So, what are we waiting for? Why do not we buy the self-study package for only $563. It is just peanuts for all these benefits. And wait, there is even more. Photoreading also reduces stress, improves creativity, and makes anyone a climbing executive. It even cures their vertigo!Imagine now. Wittgenstein's Tractatus has 84 pages (a Finnish edition) or 75 pages (a German edition). I once spent a whole term in a course about the book and days by reading it. If I had known about Photoreading, I could have made it in less than 20 minutes as Photoreading consists of preparation and reading. How stupid of me to spend hours on the book! I know academics, who have used years by reading book. What a waste, what a old-fashioned way of working. No wonder not all of them are professors and they do not earn huge sums of money.
Prices of CDs
I like the Elephant-CD by White Stripes so much, that I want to buy it, not just copy it from a friend. The CD costs 21.7 euros ($26) in the Stockman department store in Helsinki. Amazon.com sells the same CD for $13 plus shipping, total cost of $20. So, by ordering it from USA, I would save 5 euros. Or, if I would buy a used one via Amazon.com, it would cost $12 (10 euros). I cannot see any reason for buying CDs at Stockman's. I see a reason for buying some CDs from small local record companies, for I cherish their existence. Looking for a new home
We have to vacate our current home by the end of June. We are looking for a new apartment to rent. It should be about 50 square square meters, have one bedroom, and be preferably in Kallio, Munkkiniemi, Kruunhaka, or maybe even in Kamppi.I would appreciate any leads.
Been busy
I have been. Busy. On Friday, I finished a draft a 30-page document I have been writing. It seems that my MIT-education pays off in terms of having fun while working, if not in some other respects. On Friday evening, we have a meeting of the Talent SIG (special interest group) in the Thirsty Salon-pub. The meetings are always intellectually intense and full of laughter, but also an MBA-worth of management insights. Especially if the meeting continues until early hours. This time the participants were Lavonardo, Aaro, Ile, Olli, and Lauri.
On Saturday, we (I and S) went shopping for futon at the Futon shop. They have superb futons, but prices are a bit high for my taste. In USA, I bought a decent futon (with a frame) with $350, here something similar would cost much more. Still, I am quite sure we will buy one later this spring. Later, I visited the ARS 06 exhibition with Petri. The exhibition is well worth a visit. Some works of arts are remarkable and give a lot to think about. But all of them are quite dark, full of death, war, agony, pain, misery. Armageddon is definitely coming soon.
Still later, a night of pinball and arcade games at Lemmy's residence in Lauttasaari. He has 5 pinball machines (Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Circus Voltaire, Adams Family, and Twilight Zone), all video-game machines from arcane Commodores to the new X-box. I have never seen such a collection. But the pinball machines were the highlight of the evening, especially the Adams Family. It is such a fast and difficult game, very rewarding for the fleeting moment that one sometimes masters it. I scored 127 million.
See also Lavonardo's account on the game night.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Kommentit