The Tuesday-meeting, Lenin, history / Dividends vs salaries / Working / Clumsiness /…

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. Woody Allen

The Tuesday-meeting, Lenin, history

The new meeting place of our monthly Tuesday-meeting is full of history. The table we sit at is called the "Revolution table". A Finnish revolutionary/traitor (depends on the way one looks at the history) O-W. Kuusinen conspired at the very table before the Finnish civil war in 1917-1918. Also the revolutionary of all revolutionaries, V.I Lenin, visited the restaurant at the same time. It is not known, whether he sat at the very table, but it is possible.
Remarkably, V.I. Lenin rented a room from S's grandfather's family for a fortnight in Antrea, Finnish Carelia, in 1906. The grandfather and his family had their opportunity to change history, which they did not use. Kind of funny that the grandfather's family/friends fought against the communists during the civil war — had they known the future in 1906, the future might have been different. We visited the house in July 2000. I should find a picture of the house and post it here.
Well, the grandfather was only 4 years old in 1906. So, let's not put the blame at his door. He might have done something by not delivering Lenin's mail (he brought the mail from the post office to Lenin), but what can a 4-year old really do at the history of the world. Less than each of us!

Dividends vs salaries

According to Helsingin sanomat, publicly traded companies gave out record dividends last year. At the same time, many companies claim to be doing so badly, that real salaries are decreasing, IT-tools are getting old, and employees are stored in cubicles. Somehow, my understanding for the striking bus drivers is increasing.
Well, the least is to agree with Cessu. If a company can pay dividends, it can pay for overtime. Let's stick to this principle, to start with.
By the way, freeing employees from constant disruptions by giving them rooms instead of cubicles would increase productivity by at least 25% or more. Dividends would increase as well. But maybe dividends, at their record level, are large enough already.

Working

It is actually kind of nice to return to work in the same company, especially when I got quite a bit more responsibility and really different things to think about. Something I can really use my new education. It is especially nice to meet some key persons, and realise that I am still welcome back — and my internal networks are still up and working. They will help in getting started.
And I definitely nothing close to entry-level things to do, which satisfies me.
Leaving home for work was still a moment of stress. It may just be that I got so used to being a student. Maybe I adapt too fast or well?

Clumsiness

In English, the signs tell No loitering. In Finnish, they tell Asiaton oleskelu kielletty, which is stupid. In Finnish, the right phrase would be Norkoilu kielletty, which is shorter, more to the point, and surprisingly close to the English one: loiter vs. norkoilla. Both sound lazy, idle, empty of action, almost counter-cultural.

Tuesday-meeting

Today we will have the regular Tuesday-meeting. I started the tradition in January 2001 and it has survived my travels due to delicate care by Petri G. They did move the meeting from the Seahorse-restaurant to the nest of left-wing radicals, the restaurant Juttutupa ("Chatting cabin" or something). They do not serve fried herrings there, but they do serve fried small whitefish ("muikku"). Not bad either. Even better than food is the company of friends.

A room

Kind of bossy I feel! I got my own office room, an upgrade from the open office cubicles in which I spent some years. What a relief, I can concentrate, which also prevents frustration. And I will have enough shelf-space for my books also at work.
From my office window, a view to the pine forest. Behind the forest is a highway.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki