Today's reading / Women's day / On energy / Commuting idea

A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one. Dimitri Shostakovich

Today's reading

If brains could fill up, I would have to find new things to do. I mostly read and stuff my brains with semi-useless information. Today, I have read Economist for 10 minutes, skimmed Kauppalehti and Helsingin Sanomat, studied 200-pages of a WCDMA-book (to refresh my knowledge about 3G &mdahs; what a boring book, almost put me in deep sleep several times), few tens of pages of "Rescuing Prometheus" (a history of large engineering projects), few tens of pages on the history of the Finnish social contract, and something else I am sure.
I think I have to pick up my old habit of reading while walking. I still have my head-mountable lamp.

Women's day

Today is the international women's day. Happy women's day to all my women readers! Virtual roses and alcoholic drinks of choice to everyone of you!

On energy

I will start to walk to the railway station in Pasila, the most hideous building imaginable, Having no, or very limited amount, energy at hand is not good for the quality of life. What about having (virtually) unlimited amount of energy at hand? What would the world be like, if we could tame nuclear fusion and have cheap energy as much as we wanted? We could melt ice from streets, from ocean harbours. We could control the climate of entire cities (heating, refrigerating), we could grow food in Greenland, etc. Clearly, if the unlimited amount of energy would not be artificially limited, we would fry the planet.
Thus, we have to decide what is the optimal amount of energy. It is clearly more than the current world average. It is most likely less than the current US-consumption. This is a hard but crucial question.

Commuting idea

I will start to walk to the railway station in Pasila, the most hideous building imaginable, and to take a train from there to the countryside. This way I will have a 30-minute walk in the morning, which helps to control (eventual and possible) frustrations. It should also make me healthier.
It takes 24 minutes by foot from my home to the right platform (number 8) in the Pasila railway station. Since it takes another 10 minutes from the Leppävaara station to the middle of the pine forest, I will get a healthy 30-minute walk in the morning. 30 minutes 5 times a week should be enough for minimal level of fitness.
I walked through the Sello-mall. It is just like the places in USA, except that food (restaurant) selection is very limited and prices (of food at least) are 50% higher.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki