Winter and the train / Paper-mills closing down / Recursive dreams / Overheard on the…

I may not be better than other people, but at least I'm different. Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Winter and the train

It is -14C outside the train, +22C inside. The passengers hurry to train, sit down breathing heavily. They have strange clothes, for somehow they can keep their hats, gloves, scarves, and heavy overcoats on for the 15 minutes they spend with me in the train. They do not even break a sweat!
I always take my coat and hat off while in train, as a gentleman must. I never use a scarf or gloves.
A Finnish proverb has it right: "Meitä on joka junaan" ("We are enough to fill in all trains").

Paper-mills closing down

A Finnish forestry and paper company, UPM, announced yesterday closures of a number of factories and un-employing up to 3000 people. The reason is simple: there are more paper-mills than needed in the world. The production capacity is 1.2 million tons larger than the current (and declining) demand. Thus, some factories must close down. Now, it happened to be UPM, that does not have enough money to run all its factories.
The situation is most difficult for the small cities in which the factories are. They will become ghost-towns soon. There is nothing much anyone can do as nobody is really willing to move to those small cities even if some other industry would spring up there. In USA, this all happened some 20-40-years ago (with cotton mills, machinery etc in New England).
Still, starting a state-wide (society-wide) effort for starting new industries in energy, transport, and health care systems would be the right thing to do. And, I know what I need to do next weekend: write short articles on these issues.

Recursive dreams

Dreaming recursive dreams is very confusing. Last night, in a dream, I was accused of a certain wrongdoing. It was a serious accusation and I was in deep trouble. My trouble turned in despair as I realised that I indeed was guilty of the wrongdoing. It was just that it happened in a dream, which I had in the dream.
Sometimes dreams get even more recursive. My record is four levels. To have a dream about a dream about a dream about a dream. I was quite confused and tired after such a dream.

Overheard on the train

Finns are quiet on the trains. Including me.
However, it is fun to listen to discussions in broken English on the train. A Finn and an Italian are discussing on working in Finland. The Italian says that she enjoys working in Finland, but not in the sense of "having a lot of fun".

Commuting sucks

I really do hate commuting to the countryside. It is not that I use the time productively. I can read, write, and observe, all of which are fun. But still it takes too much time and is boring, and I get a feeling of being one in too many. I hate the degrading feeling of being part of a numb crowd.
I would take any job of equal interest with the current one with 300 euros less a month, if I could just walk to the office (up to 30 minutes). And live in the city, in Kallio. I will continue applying to any such a job.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki