On the price of energy / Ein neues Magazin / Business requires creativity / A quiet day

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever. Aristophanes

On the price of energy

Energy is not cheap. Each source of energy has its own price. Nuclear energy, at least when not properly guarded, has a very ugly side-effects. But coal is not clean either: thousands lose their lives in mines every year. And oil, well, it has its price, $71 a barrel today and as the great game gathers speed, we will certainly more than enough humans sacrificed. Oil is the the main topic today in DC when Mr. Hu meets Mr. Bush.
Here is then how they use oil in India by driving around in a funny way. Oh, I so much miss India, I so much would love to travel to India. (Thanks to S for the link)

Ein neues Magazin

Well, I can read German, but writing is harder. If you can read German, check out Cicero.de, a new magazine on politics and culture. I read it for 15 minutes and it does look good indeed. In EU, you can even order a free copy! I did, of course, I just cannot help myself. (Thanks to Päivi for introducing Cicero.de to me).
Another new magazine: Green Interger, a magazine in the web on poetry, essays, manifestos and such. Thanks to Leevi Lehto for the link.

Business requires creativity

For a while, McDonald's was struggling with slow sales and health issues. Now, they have figures out a way to sell a bit of diabetes for $1 at a time. Sales are up, veins are clotting, insulin level fluctuating and business is just blooming. At the same time, the struggle Wal-Mart vs. citizens continues. I would bet on Wal-Mart's victory: no matter how much damage it may cause, cheap Chinese stuff provides more than enough consolidation. Shopping makes us happy!

A quiet day

At home, sick, listening to Foo Fighters, and browsing my new book: How we compete — what companies around the world are doing to make it in today's global economyby Suzanne Berger. It just arrived my mail being the first new book this week. Seems to be a very interesting book. I will get high on my reading list, maybe next after the books on nuclear missile guidance I am reading right now.
I really do have some difficulties in adjusting back to the Finnish society. Rather much I feel that I do not belong here, that I do not have anything to do here, for I do not know what is going on, who is doing what, etc. But then I realize that I do have many friends who could spark some initiative. It may just be that I cannot get started, my engine is running on idle. Or something.
I should just stop whining and do something. Well, let me try today, again, not in vain.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki