Wangst / ATMs / History of car bombs / War on Easter / Time is relative
One always has time enough, if one will apply it well. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Yesterday, I met (accidentally) one of the businessmen. He claimed that the system will be up soon. Their company will make money by selling advertisements (the new ATMs will have larger screens, will print out ads with bank notes, and will have a large ad-screen on top of the machine). Let's see how the system will work and whether they will make enough money to run the system for a longer period. The initial investments are high: the machines, the money inside the machines, the ads, etc.
The businessman was complaining that there is a monopoly of ATM in Finland at the moment. He is right, for a company called Automatia or something operated the ATMs in Finland. Automatia is owned by the banks. I think it makes kind of sense not to have several overlapping networks of ATMs: just having one will/can provide the maximum benefit/cost-ratio. Of course, a large monopoly cannot bring itself to putting ATMs in nightclubs etc. So, there may well be a business opportunity here.
Some atheists in USA have way too much free time. They have now started a war on Easter. A bit strange, for I do not mind some people believing in ancient myths. If they want to celebrate some parts of their myths, it is quite OK for me. Whatever. I am happy not to visit the office in the countryside for four days.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Wangst
I recognized and could even name a recurrent feeling of mine. I called it wangst, from writer's angst. I is a feeling of panic, loss of confidence, low self-esteem, and an urge to just quit, call it a day and disappear. It always comes after several hours of inspiring and perspiring, when the first few lines have appeared on the screen. Then it comes, hits me, and I just cannot cope. But then I can, suddenly I know what to write, words just appear with no effort and everything is fine for a few hours.ATMs
A few days back I read in Kauppalehti, a light version of FT, that some businessmen are trying to put up a new network of ATMs in Finland. The idea is very simple: put ATMs in places, where people need cash and which do not have ATMs now. Such places include sports venues, night clubs, etc. Of course, in USA this would not make sense, because there everyone pays with a credit card. In Finland, many people are dubious about credit cards and prefer cash.Yesterday, I met (accidentally) one of the businessmen. He claimed that the system will be up soon. Their company will make money by selling advertisements (the new ATMs will have larger screens, will print out ads with bank notes, and will have a large ad-screen on top of the machine). Let's see how the system will work and whether they will make enough money to run the system for a longer period. The initial investments are high: the machines, the money inside the machines, the ads, etc.
The businessman was complaining that there is a monopoly of ATM in Finland at the moment. He is right, for a company called Automatia or something operated the ATMs in Finland. Automatia is owned by the banks. I think it makes kind of sense not to have several overlapping networks of ATMs: just having one will/can provide the maximum benefit/cost-ratio. Of course, a large monopoly cannot bring itself to putting ATMs in nightclubs etc. So, there may well be a business opportunity here.
History of car bombs
Mike Davis has written a brief history of car bombs. I have not yet read it, but it does look interesting. The history goes back to the 1920s or so. The bombers are always using the most modern technology available.War on Easter
Some atheists in USA have way too much free time. They have now started a war on Easter. A bit strange, for I do not mind some people believing in ancient myths. If they want to celebrate some parts of their myths, it is quite OK for me. Whatever. I am happy not to visit the office in the countryside for four days.Time is relative
According to Stephen Rademaker, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for International Security and Nonproliferation, Iran Could Produce Nuclear Bomb in 16 Days were it to have 50000 centrifuges, which is does not. The possibility makes nice headlines, whereas what the analysts say ( Nuclear Iran Is Years Away ) does not. Certainly this kind of confusion is quite enough a reason for nuking Iran.Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Kommentit