Weekend / The Finnish Social Forum, part 2 / The Finnish Social Forum
Weirdness always increases over time. A Honeywell system architect
Before the gym, we went to see the local prison, which is close to our home. The visiting hour was just starting. Many visitors were heading towards the prison. It must be quite a burden to have the loved one behind the bars.
In the evening, we visited Olli and Maritta. Also Mikael and Liisa were there. We had really nice time: delicious sushi, good drinks, nice discussion.
I have to admit that there are many social movements, which do not fall in this trap. Network Institute for Global Democratization is one such a movement, ATTAC is another. And there are others. Well, maybe it is just the public gatherings where the non-analytic part of the movement dominates.
I was delighted to see some familiar, if not a bit older than last time, faces, when I walked in the door. Some things never change, and some person do have a lasting commitment to change the world. Then I saw some friends, including Ruby and Mika. Very nice.
I attended a seminar on "How the political parties became neoliberal". Heikki Patomäki gave a good speech on the history of political parties and how the global capitalism has been developing since the Middle-Ages. And how his new ideas on global governance would solve many current problems. I did not quite get his exact idea, but since he has written many books and is writing even more, I certainly have a way to catch up. The rest of the discussion was much less interesting. A lot of rambling, no new ideas, making me bored.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Weekend
This was a relaxing weekend. Although I did not have any real reason to relax. On Saturday, we visited the gym together for the first time. It is nice to find thing we have not yet done together (we = I and S).Before the gym, we went to see the local prison, which is close to our home. The visiting hour was just starting. Many visitors were heading towards the prison. It must be quite a burden to have the loved one behind the bars.
In the evening, we visited Olli and Maritta. Also Mikael and Liisa were there. We had really nice time: delicious sushi, good drinks, nice discussion.
The Finnish Social Forum, part 2
It is peculiar how much social movements (NGOs) define their identities, strategies and ideologies by what they stand against. Some are against EU, some are against a certain new legislation. By doing so, they let the others (governments, corporations, etc) define the agenda.I have to admit that there are many social movements, which do not fall in this trap. Network Institute for Global Democratization is one such a movement, ATTAC is another. And there are others. Well, maybe it is just the public gatherings where the non-analytic part of the movement dominates.
The Finnish Social Forum
The Finnish Social Forum took place this weekend. It is a large meeting of all kinds of activists, NGOs, freely and alternatively thinking (leftist) individuals. I did not have time to attend on Saturday and only for four hours on Sunday.I was delighted to see some familiar, if not a bit older than last time, faces, when I walked in the door. Some things never change, and some person do have a lasting commitment to change the world. Then I saw some friends, including Ruby and Mika. Very nice.
I attended a seminar on "How the political parties became neoliberal". Heikki Patomäki gave a good speech on the history of political parties and how the global capitalism has been developing since the Middle-Ages. And how his new ideas on global governance would solve many current problems. I did not quite get his exact idea, but since he has written many books and is writing even more, I certainly have a way to catch up. The rest of the discussion was much less interesting. A lot of rambling, no new ideas, making me bored.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Kommentit