A new book / Team players

Expecting is the greatest impediment to living. In anticipation of tomorrow, it loses today. Lucius Annaeus Seneca

A new book

I took a book for a walk and ended up in the Academic bookstore. I bought a present for Mika, who has his 40th birtgday (party) today. For myself, I bough How Mumbo Jumbo Conquered the World by Wheen. At least parts of it (bashing the faddist management self-help books) appear on target.

Team players

The other day, I was reading Cobra II. It told about a general, whom Rumsfeld chose for Chairman of JCS. His main qualification was reputation of being a team player. Later, as the chief of JCS, he never questioned Rumsfeld's incomplete plans for occupying Iraq.
It seems that being a team player is not what I have assumed it to be. I have assumed a team player to be someone, who can work with other, express his own views and bring his own expertise/skills/knowledge to the team. Now, it seems that being a team player is just an euphemism for being brown-tongued. If this is so, it certainly does not bode well for my career progress — my tongue is too short, hardly comes out of my mouth.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki